Baseball opening day, wrestling wins three championships and other news

Here’s what you need to know from the past week in NYU athletics. This week: Feb. 19 – 25.
Alisia Houghtaling
(Illustration by Alisia Houghtaling)

Basketball

The men’s and women’s basketball teams were in Waltham, MA to play Brandeis University on Feb. 24. Women’s basketball won 81-54, once again continuing their winning streak. The men, now 10-4 in conference play, won 74-68 as well. 

Men’s and women’s basketball will play the first- and second-round games of the NCAA Tournament on March 1-2. Last year, the men were eliminated in the first round, while the women reached the Elite Eight — the final eight teams of the NCAA tournament. 

Baseball

NYU baseball kicked off its season with a four-game weekend. On Saturday, the Violets defeated Sage College 18-2 in the first game of the doubleheader, and again in game two, 10-3.

On Sunday, NYU defeated the United States Merchant Marine Academy 8-6 in game one and 24-2 in game two.

The Violets will play Vassar College this Friday and Haverford College on Saturday in Staten Island. 

Fencing

NYU Fencing competed in the Long Island University Shark Showdown on Sunday, Feb. 25.

The men’s and women’s teams were 4-0 for the day after defeating Lafayette College, Hunter College, Wagner College and host Long Island University Brooklyn.

The Violets will be preparing for the NCAA Regional Championship hosted by Long Island University on March 10.

Swimming & Diving

Swimming and diving hosted the NYU Winter Invitational at Palladium Athletic Facility this weekend.

Issara Schmidt recorded 359.75 in the women’s six-dive three-meter, breaking the program record of 334.16, previously set by All-American Carmen White in the 2017-18 season. 

Eight divers — Meera Kasturi, Claire Stephenson, Issara Schmidt and Maya Williams from the women’s team and Sahil Das, Makai Harder, Mitchell Mortenson and William Hopkins from the men’s — have qualified for NCAA Regionals, set to take place next weekend at Colby College.

Derek Maas won the men’s 100 butterfly in 47.13, breaking his teammate’s previous NYU record of 47.33.

Members of both the men’s and women’s teams earned an NCAA B cut — a provisional qualifying time for NCAA championships. The Championships will take place on March 20-23 in  Greensboro, NC.

Track & Field

NYU track and field competed in the UAA Indoor Championships this weekend. Both the men’s and women’s teams finished sixth out of seven teams.

Grace Richardson won the women’s 3,000 meters in 9:36.14. This was on top of eight members of the men’s team and two members of the women’s teams setting new personal bests. Both the men’s and women’s 4×400 meter relay achieved season bests, 3:24.38 and 4:03.07, respectively.

NYU will compete in the All-Atlantic Region Track and Field Conference next weekend at Nazareth University. 

Volleyball

Men’s volleyball was in Pennsylvania on Saturday to face Arcadia University. After losing the first set, the Violets were able to come back and win 3-1.

NYU will be on the road again this week to play New Jersey City University on Feb. 27. 

Wrestling

NYU wrestling competed in the Futures Tournament on Feb. 25 hosted by The College of New Jersey.

Jacob Venezia won the 133 weight class championship, and John Mairano won the 157 weight class championship, competing above his weight class. Nicky Bell won the 184 weight class, earning his second Futures championship.

The Violets will be in Worcester, MA for the NCAA Northeast Regionals this Saturday and Sunday.

Contact Sydney Barragan at [email protected].