Men’s Soccer on a Winning Streak After Slow Start

This past weekend, the men’s soccer team snapped its five game winless streak and women’s volleyball recorded its first UAA win of the season. See how the rest of the Violets did in our weekly sports update.
NYU Men’s Varsity Soccer competes at an NYU-NJCU match. (via NYU Athletics)

Men’s Golf
The Violets finished off the Duke Nelson Invitational on Sunday, Sept. 15, shooting 288 on the day and 579 for the tournament. This was more than enough to win the invitational as second-place Williams College shot 589. NYU’s top golfer on the weekend was Tisch junior Robbie Keyes, who finished second after the second-lowest round in NYU history brought him up from 18th place at the end of day one.

On Saturday and Sunday, NYU participated in the Williams College Fall Invitational. After one day, the Violets were in the lead, shooting 291. Stern sophomore Joseph Burlison was in second place with a one-under-par 70 and CAS first-year Alan Chen tied for sixth with a one-over-par 72. Results for day two have not been published as of press time. 

The Men’s golf team will next tee off on Oct. 6 at the Liberty League Fall Preview.  

Women’s Golf
The women’s golf team was in third place after the first day of the Mount Holyoke Invitational on Saturday. The Violets are currently shooting 313, behind Middlebury College with 310 and Williams College with 306. Tisch junior Jessica Wu led NYU golfers and fourth place in the tournament with a three-over-par 75. Navika Kuchakulla, Ashley Lung and Sophia Bian were all tied for eighth with a five-over-par 77. Results for day two have not been published as of press time. 

The Violets next competition is the George Phinney Jr. Golf Classic at Middlebury college this Saturday and Sunday.

Women’s Tennis
On Sunday, Sept. 15, NYU played the singles matches of the Vassar College Scramble. They went 12-8 and each player played two rounds. Stern first-year Karina Jensrud, Stern senior Judy Kam and Liberal Studies first-year Anastasiia Balyk won all of their matches. 

This weekend, the Violets began play at the ITA Northeast Regional Championships. At press time, only the first day of the three day event had stats available. In it, NYU played against teams from 12 different colleges and saw a lot of success. Five singles players and two doubles teams won both of their matches on the day.

The Violets return to the court on Oct. 17, when they play in the Oracle ITA Cup in Rome, Georgia. 

Men’s Tennis
NYU closed out the Stevens Invitational on Sunday, Sept. 15, going 9-1 in the doubles rounds against Stevens and Wilkes University. They continued this success into the one-day Connecticut College USCGA Invitational on Saturday. 

Stern senior Vishal Walia, CAS sophomore Christian Otero, CAS senior Joshua Piatos, CAS junior Rahul Das and Stern junior Stean Rodic all won both solo matches, and the duos of CAS first-year Alex Yang and Otero, CAS sophomore Lucas Biondi and Walia and Rodic and Stern junior Justin Chong did the same in the doubles competition. Walia, Otero and Rodic won every match of the day. 

This weekend, the Violets head to Hobart College to play in the ITA Northeast Regional Championships. 

Men’s Soccer
After a slow start to the season, the men’s soccer team has won their last two games in increasingly convincing fashions. Their first win of the season came on Wednesday  when they beat Maritime college 1-0 off of SPS first-year Victor Kang’s first collegiate goal. 

On Saturday, the Violets won again, this time beating Hunter College 3-0. It was Keeper Liberal Studies sophomore Nick Vafiadis’ second straight and second career shutout and win, and NYU is now 2-4-1 on the year. Liberal Studies senior Owen Smith opened the scoring with a sixth-minute goal. Then, just after half time, Stern sophomore Oliver Kleban doubled the lead to 2-0 in the 48th minute. Later, in the 77th minute, Kang capped off the scoring with his second collegiate goal. 

The Violets next take the pitch on Saturday at home versus Stevens. 

Women’s Soccer
Women’s soccer split their two games this week, losing to the University of Scranton 2-1 on Wednesday and beating Centenary University on Saturday. NYU is now ranked 15th nationally and has a 5-2-0 record.

The win vs Centenary was a team effort, with three different scorers. Stern senior Isabelle Turner scored first, in the 14th minute. This lead was added to in the 22nd and 27th minute by Liberal Studies first-year Gabriella Funk and Tisch junior Lila Keltz. Then in the 42nd minute, Centenary senior Stephanie Williams tried to begin a comeback with a goal. However, Keltz scored her second goal of the game in the 75th minute to put the game away at 4-1. 

NYU will host Farmingdale State University on Wednesday. 

Women’s Volleyball
The Violets started and ended the week with commanding wins, sweeping Mount St. Vincent Wednesday and beating Case Western Reserve 3-1 on Sunday. In between these wins, they opened their UAA season on Saturday and were swept by the University of Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis. 

NYU held a commanding lead in every set against Mount Saint Vincent and were only ever down when the opposition scored the first point of the match. They tried to continue this momentum into their UAA play on Saturday and Sunday, but couldn’t handle 6th ranked Chicago and WashU.

Sunday was a big win for the team. It marked head coach Andrew Brown’s 100th DIII win, as well as NYU’s first win against Case Western since the 2013 UAA Championship. Leading the way to the 3-1 victory were Stern first-year Haley Holz with 13 kills, Stern first-year Nicole Dao with 21 assists and CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli with 24 digs.

The Violet’s next match is at Lehman College this Thursday.  

Women’s Cross Country
The women’s cross country team finished second in the Fred Pavlich Invitational on Saturday. Eighteen teams competed in the 6k course, and NYU finished with 58 points, 30 more than first-place Vassar College. 

The duo of Steinhart first-year Siena Moran and CAS first-year Leah Haley placed second and third in the field of 160 runners. Moran ran it in 23:07 and Haley in 24:05. CAS first-year Milly Ames was NYU’s only other top 20 runner, placing 12th with a time of 24:48.

NYU’s next race will be the Paul Short Invitational, hosted by Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on Oct. 5.

Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].