Stern dean appointed to new administrative role

After nearly 30 years of working at the school, Stern dean Raghu Sundaram will begin a new position as NYU’s senior vice chancellor and head of global strategy this summer.
Stern School of Business dean Raghu Sundaram. (Courtesy of New York University)

Raghu Sundaram, the Stern School of Business’ dean of six years, will be promoted to NYU’s senior vice chancellor and head of global strategy later this year, university president Linda Mills announced in a Wednesday email to the school. Sundaram, who has worked at Stern for almost 30 years, will officially assume his new position on July 1, 2024.

“Words cannot adequately express what a privilege it has been to serve as Stern’s dean and what a gift it has been to work with the members of such an extraordinary community of faculty, students, administrators, staff and alumni,” Sundaram wrote in an email to the Stern community. “I look forward to meeting with you in the coming weeks and months and thanking you in person for your warmth, support and trust.”

In his new position, Sundaram will partly focus on the university’s finance and budget process. He will be responsible for providing guidance and leadership on strategic decisions such as entrepreneurial initiatives, generating revenue and partnering with other industries, according to Mills’ email. Mills added that Sundaram will play a big role in the university’s expansion in India, which was first announced in a December webinar.

J.P. Eggers, who currently serves as vice dean of MBA and graduate programs, will immediately take over the role as interim dean in July until the university finds a successor, according to the Feb. 7 announcement.

Raghu has been a strong relationship builder, forging valuable partnerships across the university, attracting talent from all over the world and strengthening Stern’s outstanding executive board,” Mills wrote in the email. “Respected by his faculty colleagues, Stern’s students, Stern’s administration and his fellow deans, he has brought focus, foresight, keen analysis and an instinct for innovation to his role as Stern’s dean and made the school all the stronger for it.”

Sundaram was appointed as Stern’s dean in 2018, after having served as the school’s vice dean for MBA programs and online learning for almost two years. Under his leadership, the school brought in $400 million, including a $53.6 million donation in 2023 from alum Anne Tasca — the largest gift in the school’s history. Stern also received a $20 million donation in 2022 from the Chao-Hon Chen Institute for Global Real Estate Finance to create a new real estate institute. Last year, the school also announced that it would establish a one-year full-time MBA program at NYU Abu Dhabi, which will begin in January 2025.

“As President Mills noted in her communication about dean Sundaram’s new appointment, he is a person of great talent, someone who has amassed a record of enormous success as Stern’s dean and a respected and long-time leader in our community,” NYU spokesperson John Beckman wrote in a statement to WSN. “Those strengths make him superbly suited for the important role he will take on as senior vice chancellor and head of global strategy for NYU.”

Sundaram was not immediately able to respond to a request for comment.

Contact Bruna Horvath at [email protected].