Langone Long Island Hospital invests $6 million to upgrade postpartum units

The upgraded units will feature single-occupancy rooms with private showers and bathrooms, along with a renovated staff lounge.
Nina Schifano
(Nina Schifano for WSN)

NYU Langone Hospital—Long Island is putting $6 million toward upgrading its 36 postpartum units, 15 of which will be turned into private rooms for patients.

The renovated units will feature single-occupancy rooms with private showers and bathrooms. The funds will also be used to repurpose the hospital’s staff lounge as an additional patient room and demolish a shared shower area, making room for a new staff lounge. 

Rosemary Gomez, a spokesperson for the medical center, told WSN the hospital had no additional information to provide about the multimillion-dollar renovation beyond what is already available to the public.

This past Tuesday, NYU Langone Health received a $13 million grant to create a national center for Type 2 diabetes research, primarily tailored toward marginalized communities. Just last week, the medical center also purchased a $33 million building in West Palm Beach, Florida in an effort to expand its services in physical therapy and gynecological care in the area — marking its fifth location in the state.

Last month, the medical center opened a $170 million ambulatory care center in Garden City, Long Island, where over 800 doctors and staff will operate across 32 clinical specialties in what was originally a Sears location in the city. 

Contact Adrianna Nehme at [email protected].