A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: Feb. 22 to 24

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.

Tisch Drama Stage Presents “Fiction” at the Abe Burrows Theater, Feb. 21 – Mar. 2

Tisch Drama Stage presents a new work by 600 Highwaymen, an experimental theater collective comprising of artists Abigail Browde and Michael Silverstone. Inspired by the work of photographer Diane Arbus, the performance “explores the nature of spectatorship, and the ways in which we define ourselves, and are mended by, the gaze of others.” — Alex

Time: various

Location: 721 Broadway

Price: $14, $7 for students

“FoxFest 2019: Bringing Fyre to Bushwick” at Bushwick Public House, Feb. 22

Enjoy locally sourced music from the likes of Quasimodo’s Dream, Musa and Marcus Charles while supporting NYU’s Fox Lab. Interact with researchers, professors and peers as they give short presentations on psychopathy during intermissions. All proceeds from ticket sales will go toward supporting the lab, which studies the intersection between music and psychopathy. — Nicole

Time: 7:30 p.m.

Location: 1288 Myrtle Ave., Brooklyn, NY

Price: $15

“Night at the Museum: Bruce Nauman Closing Party” at MoMA PS1, Feb. 22

To celebrate the final weekend of their show “Bruce Nauman: Disappearing Acts,” MoMA PS1 is hosting a night of beats, drinks and art. The galleries will be open until midnight, with talks by artists including Baseera Khan, Richard Kennedy and Maryam Hoseini. Includes a screening of the documentary “The Bruce Nauman Story.” — Alex

Time: 8 p.m.
Location: 22-25 Jackson Ave., Queens, NY

Price: $15

“Studio Salon: ‘Looking for Lorraine’” with Imani Perry at the NYPL George Bruce Library, Feb. 23

Join Princeton professor Imani Perry for a discussion and interactive workshop on the life of playwright Lorraine Hansberry. The event is inspired by Perry’s new biography of Hansberry that reframes the writer’s work through her activism and life in New York City. Put on by the Studio Museum of Harlem, which is currently transitioning between buildings. — Alex

Time: 2 p.m.

Location: 518 W. 125th St.

Price: Free

“Self-ish: a feminist open mic” at Bluestockings, Feb. 23

The bookstore, cafe and activist center is hosting their monthly open mic this Saturday night. Everyone is welcome, but the mic is exclusively open to women, trans men and non-binary folk. Sign up online beforehand to perform. Stage time limited to five minutes per person. — Alex

Location: 172 Allen St.

Tme: 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.

Price: Free

“NY Night Train Soul Clap & Dance-Off” at Brooklyn Bazaar, Feb. 23

Sick of the same club music night after night? Take a break and join the “New York Night Train Soul Clap” at Brooklyn Bazaar, where rare 45 RPMs from the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s are spun all night. Get on your feet and dance to infectious soul and funk music and, while you’re at it, try your luck at the infamous 1 a.m. Dance-Off for a chance to win $100. — Nicole

Location: 150 Greenpoint Ave., Brooklyn, NY

Time: 8 p.m. to 4 a.m.

Price: $15 with fees

Tipling Rock with Scotch Mist, Surfliner, Been Stellar, Feb. 23

What’s not to love about locally sourced, organic indie-rock? Join NYUers Been Stellar as they support fellow rockers Tipling Rock, Scotch Mist and Surfliner in a night of buoyant musical fun. — Nicole

Location: 217 E. Houston St.

Time: 7 p.m.

Price: $13 – $15

Email at Alex Cullina and Nicole Rosenthal at [email protected].