Nutella Cafe Opens Doors Near NYU

Everything you need to know about New York’s new Nutella Cafe.
Left to right: Nutella cocoa with almond milk, creme brulee, pound cake “panzanella,” and a Nutella mocha latte. (Photo by Ju Shin)

Have you ever wondered how Charlie felt when he entered Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory? It’s probably the same feeling you’ll have when you enter the new Nutella Cafe near Union Square. Inside, every wall and cup is emblazoned with the Nutella logo and counters are filled with chocolatey treats.

At the bakery, which officially opened its doors on Nov. 14, customers can grab a flaky croissant, a yogurt blueberry muffin and other seasonal baked goods, all of which are infused with Nutella in some form. After admiring the interior, I ordered a few items and took a seat, awaiting my Nutella-filled delights.

My first item of choice was the Nutella cocoa with almond milk for $5.45, which I hoped would warm me up from the freezing weather outside. The cocoa scored aesthetically with a frothy foam heart on top and did not lose any points in flavor either with its rich, hazelnut aftertaste. In need of my essential morning cup of coffee, I also ordered a hot mocha latte for $5.25. Though piled with a mountain of Nutella whipped cream, the drink was not overpoweringly sweet; the sugary cream neutralized the bitterness of the coffee.

(Photo by Ju Shin)

For a hearty breakfast, I opted for the pound cake panzanella with yogurt and berries for $10.95. It was a bowl of Greek yogurt topped with artisanal pound cake cubes and fresh raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and basil, drizzled with Nutella. It was refreshing to have a dish with Nutella as a complimentary flavor. Then, for dessert, I chose the $8.95 creme brulee — a soft custard cream enveloping a spoonful of Nutella, topped with toasted hazelnuts. The creme brulee did not have the most satisfying layer of torched sugar to crack, but the delicious Nutella hiding inside the custard more than made up for it.

The menu also includes a “Create Your Own” option for you to build the decadent dessert of your dreams. Customers can choose from a variety of bases such as crepes, Liege-style waffle or croissant French toast. The base is Nutella, of course, and then you get your choice of fruits and toppings like mixed berries, bananas, whipped cream, gelato and more.

And while, sadly, not every single item at the Nutella Cafe expressly contains Nutella, don’t fret. If you need more Nutella, you can add more to any dish for just $1. Be sure to check out Nutella Cafe and treat yourself with a Nutella infused dish — ‘tis this season after all.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 19 print edition. Email Joyce Shin at [email protected]