NYU Postpones Milo Yiannopoulos Halloween Talk at Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Request

Yiannopoulos was scheduled to talk to Professor Michael Rectenwald’s writing class.
via+Flickr.com
via Flickr.com

At the request of New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, NYU has agreed to postpone Milo Yiannopoulos’ NYU visit originally scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 31, according to a statement from the university.

“Bill de Blasio today requested that NYU postpone and reschedule the classroom appearance by Milo Yiannopoulos for public safety reasons in light of the nearby Halloween parades and [New York Police Department] assessments of risk,” NYU spokesman John Beckman wrote in a statement. “Given the importance of close coordination between NYU’s Public Safety personnel and the NYPD to ensuring safety, the university agreed to the postponement.”

Beckman said there is no makeup date scheduled as of now.

Yiannopoulos — who has called for deportations of Muslims from Western countries, condoned pedophilia and said that vigilante squads should shoot journalists — was invited by Liberal Studies professor Michael Rectenwald to discuss the intersection of Halloween, culture and politics at a classroom event Wednesday. NYU activists had denounced the planned visit, with some speaking out on Twitter and others calling for students to contact their deans.

“[The] entire city of New York is terrified of one gay man stepping out of line and calling out the Left as the intolerant, censorious crybabies they are,” Yiannopoulos said to Rectenwald in a statement obtained by WSN. “And they just proved it — by censoring me again. I couldn’t ask for more conclusive proof.”

Rectenwald also disagreed with the decision to postpone the event.

“While Milo Yiannopoulos is blamed for the threat to public safety, leftist protesters are the ones who pose the actual danger, with their proclivity for violence,” Rectenwald said in an email to WSN. “I was merely trying to arrange a cultural exchange between my class and a harmless person from the center-right.”

New York City Council members urged NYU to reschedule the visit earlier today, citing the day’s proximity to the shooting of a synagogue in Pittsburgh and the fact that police would already spread thin by the annual Halloween parade held in Greenwich Village.

In 2016, NYU canceled a planned Yiannopoulos visit, citing concern for the safety and well-being of its students. Wednesday’s event was not intended to be open to the entire NYU community and the time of the class was not publicized.

NYU was first made aware of Yiannopoulos’ planned visit on Sunday.

This is a developing news story. WSN will update this article as more information becomes available.

Additional reporting by Jemima McEvoy, Sayer Devlin and Meghna Maharishi.

Email Alex Domb at [email protected].

Alex Domb
Alex Domb, News Editor
Alex is a sophomore studying Politics and Journalism in CAS. He holds dual U.S. and U.K. citizenships, but he grew up in central New Jersey and will take advantage of any excuse to defend his home state at all costs. In his spare time, Alex enjoys debating the latest NBA trade, attempting to navigate the subway or wolfing down a slice of 99 cent pizza. Justify his shameless Twitter plug by dropping him a follow @dombalex.

• A

AnneOct 31, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I had rectenwald as a cultural foundations teacher in 2015 and he was the worst, and i mean WORST professor I had at nyu. This was before the election and before all the liberal/conservative sprial. He routinely skipped and canceled class, he fell asleep during student presentations, and he threw a party with alcohol at his house in Bed-Stuy (after complaining how dangerous the neighborhood was) for us 19 year old college sophmores to attend. Oh and he said he’d only give us an A if we’d give a positive rating on rate my professor.

He is simply taking advantage of the media circus for his own fame. He doesn’t give one shit about his students.

• A

AnneOct 31, 2018 at 12:52 pm

Had Rectenwald as my cultural foundations teacher in 2015 and he was the worst, and i mean WORST professor I had at nyu. This was before the election and before all the liberal/conservative snowflake spiral.

He routinely skipped and canceled class, he constantly would fall asleep during student presentations, he once had his son teach a lesson on nothing that had to do with the subject matter at hand and he through a party with alcohol at his house in Bed-Stuy (after complaining how dangerous the neighborhood was) for us 19 year old college sophmores to attend. Oh- and he told us he’d only give us an A at the end of the semester if we wrote him a good review on rate my professor.

It is beyond transparent that he is just taking advantage of the media circus for his own fame. He doesn’t give one shit about his students.

• T

TimOct 31, 2018 at 9:50 am

Milo DID NOT call for the deportation of all Mulsims. He DID NOT condone pedophilia. Click both links and you will see clearly how this report is LYING. This is why leftists keep losing, because they refuse to tell the truth, if the truth does not support their hateful narrative.

• S

Sulayman FNov 1, 2018 at 3:08 pm

Except that he did. He was fired from Breitbart for giving an interview where he said there was no problem with gay sex with underage boys. And yes he’s totally down with Muslim bans and deportations, it’s kinda his thing