Dan Liu S/S 2018

Mallori Albright, Staff Writer

Skylight Clarkson Square woke up to the sounds of beach waves and seagull calls at the Dan Liu Spring/Summer 2018 fashion show. In his fourth season at New York Fashion Week, the 45 year-old, Chinese-Japanese Canadian designer debuted a collection of traditionally feminine and girly looks that exude playfulness, youth and grace.

Each look was accentuated with bright, eye-popping turquoise eye shadow, nude lips and peacock feather masks. And to keep the audience’s attention glued to the clothing, each model wore either a nude, pointed toe pump or ankle strap high heel. Liu stayed true to his past collections with a myriad of dresses in hues of blush pink, yellow, red, mint green and white with accents of navy blue. Almost every look was topped off with a gold or pearl embellishment. Liu’s range of dresses also channeled his Japanese roots with the concept of kawaii, or cuteness, which was demonstrated in lace dresses composed of cap sleeves, collars, scalloped hems and bows.

Even though the majority of the collection consisted of dresses, there were two pieces that stole the show. The first piece was a navy blue and white polka dot coordinate set with a camisole and cropped pants. The set was reminiscent of the pajama trend from this past spring.

The showstopping piece was the final look of the collection which consisted of a floor-dusting, flowy white wrap dress with a mandarin collar in homage to Liu’s Chinese heritage. And the best part about this look was that the model twirled a hula hoop-sized ring of peacock feathers around herself as she strutted down the runway.

Dan Liu’s S/S 2018 collection oozes spring and summer splendor. One can almost imagine the late year breeze flowing through the delicate lace. It may be a year away, but the coming spring and summer are sure to be beautiful.

Email Mallori Albright at [email protected].