Starting Off with a Broadway Bang

via Facebook.com

Dear Evan Hansen has captivated the hearts of audiences and critics alike, collecting a number of Tony nominations and wins.

Hailey Nuthals, Editor-at-Large

If there’s one thing that NYU can boast it offers more of than — almost — any other school, it’s daily access to Broadway shows. To start your year off with a little drama, here are a few shows currently on Broadway that offer discounted rush or lottery tickets that have already found their place in audiences’ hearts.

“Come From Away”

This story about one of New York’s defining moments, 9/11, is actually set in the small town of Gander in Nova Scotia, Canada. The musical follows the true story of how planes diverted from New York on the day of 9/11 were redirected to Gander and the unexpected camaraderie that formed between the plane’s passengers and the town’s locals.

Rush tickets are $38 day-of, and are limited to two per person. Find the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre at 236 W 45th St., and read WSN’s review of the show here.

“Dear Evan Hansen”

Starring Ben Platt, “Dear Evan Hansen” is a musical that has been the subject of much praise from critics. The story follows Evan as he navigates sudden fame and the high school hallways that are too often cruel to us all. The sudden suicide of a classmate sees Evan caught in a lie that could hurt people if he keeps lying and hurt if he tells the truth. Everything from Platt’s acting to the musical’s score has been highly lauded. If you’re going to see Platt specifically, make sure to go before he leaves the cast Nov. 19.  

A limited number of lottery tickets are available for specific shows — check the show’s website for details and deadlines for purchase. Tickets are $42 and limited to two per person. Find the Music Box Theatre at 239 W 45th St.

“Hamilton”

If you haven’t heard of “Hamilton” by now, then you’re missing a great time to see George Washington rap. The Tony Award-winning musical is composed of entirely hip-hop and rap music, played by a vastly diverse cast and has made writer and composer Lin Manuel-Miranda into a cultural hero. It follows founding father Alexander Hamilton on his wild and sordid rise from a “b–tard, orphan, son of a whore and a Scotsman” to almost president of the just-formed United States.

A digital lottery runs for every evening performance. You can enter once per show before 3 p.m. the day of. Tickets are $10. Find the Richard Rodgers Theatre at 226 West 46th St.

NYU Box Office

The NYU Box Office has discounted and occasionally free tickets to all sorts of events, including Broadway shows. The tickets are for specific nights, however, so be sure to regularly check their schedule for updated offerings.

A version of this article appeared in the Sunday, Aug. 27 print edition. Email Hailey Nuthals at [email protected].