Lewis Watson Sheds Light on New Album ‘midnight’ at WNYU

Kevin Hannon
Lewis Watson visited WNYU for an interview and a live radio session. In the interview, he talks about his new album, "midnight," which will be released on March 24.

English singer-songwriter Lewis Watson recently stopped by “Hannon on WNYU” for an interview and a live radio session in advance of the release of his second album, “midnight,” produced by Anthony West of Oh Wonder. The Oxfordshire musician has over one million monthly listeners on Spotify and has headlined London’s Shepherd’s Bush Empire, NYC’s Bowery Ballroom and LA’s Troubadour, as well as supported the likes of Coldplay, Kodaline and Gabrielle Aplin. The new album fuses Watson’s acclaimed acoustic sensibility with West’s electronic footprint, while cinematic lyrics render the album’s long nights in emotional technicolor.

In the interview, Watson talks about his year-long hiatus from music, why he switched from a major label to the independent Cooking Vinyl Records and how he reached out to Oh Wonder about working on the album. His new album, “midnight,” follows his 2014 debut “the morning.” Watson reflects on whether this album symbolizes the night after or prior to the morning and explains why “slumber,” a duet with Lucy Rose, is one of his favorite songs on the album.

“midnight” will be released on March 24, and Watson is headlining The Bowery Ballroom on May 15.

Email Kevin Hannon at [email protected]