Rinat Brodach F/W 2017

Julia Saliba

Geomari Martinez, Contributing Writer

Eclectically ethereal house funk music rightfully accompanied the enigmatic beauty of Rinat Brodach’s Fall/Winter 2017 collection. With the release of her first namesake collection in 2014, the New York-based designer quickly became renowned. Set within an intimate room enclosed by white walls and accents of light brick, models donning dark, bold colors and cozy wools beautifully contrasted to showcase why Brodach is a designer to look out for.

Brodach exhibited her creative versatility by expanding her line to incorporate menswear while staying true to her signature draping technique. One sensational look included an oversized terracotta shirt that altered the medieval aesthetic into a modern must-have. Paired with pinstriped ink blue pants, the look was simply sophisticated.

Other notable looks included a floor length navy blue body-fitting wool dress with one full sleeve and a sultry slit, as well as an all-black ensemble that included a black jacket with distinctively puffed shoulders and cascading sleeves. Clunky black Dr. Martens and slicked back hair subtly elevated the collection’s inventive grace.

The collection was aimed at reflecting “the delicacy of human existence,” as the show’s handout explained. Rooted in personal triumph, Brodach dedicated this line to her mother, who was recently diagnosed with cancer. Upon observing the fighter in her, Brodach was inspired and attempted to encapsulate this fearless vitality in her designs.

“This was work that came purely from my heart so this collection means the world to me,” Brodach said in an interview after the show. “[Fashion Week] means a lot, this is my time where I can express myself and you know, show my true colors of who I am as a designer and a person and share my story.”

With her imaginative vigor and intense passion, Brodach successfully highlighted what it means to hold true to your identity — the only reality one has in the uncertainty of life.

Email Geomari Martinez at [email protected].