The Kurrents Are A-Changing

Sophomore+Danny+Garcia+started+Kurrent+Music+as+a+new+platform+to+find+new+music+from+unpretentious+sources.+

Courtesy of Danny Garcia

Sophomore Danny Garcia started Kurrent Music as a new platform to find new music from unpretentious sources.

Dyanna Fleites-Cruz, Contributing Writer

Danny Garcia, or Danny G., is a sophomore at the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music at NYU. Originally from Miami, Florida, Danny came to New York City to expand his knowledge of and experience in the commercial music industry. Although he enjoys performing, his real passion is producing. He has created the Kurrent Music blog to provide a collaborative music experience both for musicians and music listeners alike.

Washington Square News: What is Kurrent Music?

Danny Garcia: Kurrent Music is a music blog, tech and media company that aims to give users a collaborative experience and help in the [discovery of] new music and music exploration.

WSN: How did you come up with the idea and develop it? 

DG: The original idea came to me when I was reading an article on Pitchfork, and I realized that I loved the writers’ articles, but I didn’t entirely like how they presented it. I decided to create a platform where normal people could review music themselves. I don’t know how to code, so Kurrent Music started off on a blog website — like Weebly — and I would get artists to submit songs and enter contests. My father owns a software company, and he saw the potential in the concept so he decided to hire people to develop the website that we have today, creating the developing team that still exists in Miami. It’s because of this team that Kurrent Music is also a tech company — because they started working with some [Silicon Valley-type] guys to work on apps and create virtual reality templates to pitch.

WSN: How did you bring it to New York City after starting it in Miami?

DG: We currently have three teams right now: Miami, Venezuela and New York. When I came to New York, I decided that I wanted to create a community that leaned more towards a grassroots, college-type of feel. We create[d] casual videos of college musicians that led to the creation of Dorm Sessions, which has become pretty popular. We also have intimate concerts where local college musicians can perform and share live renditions of their music.

WSN: How is it helpful to musicians and music listeners?

DG: For musicians, Dorm Sessions provide students with high quality videos and audio that they can use in the future. Also, when people submit their music, their names will come up on other artists’ pages if they tag them. For music listeners, we allow anyone to be able to review music without having to be a music critic.

WSN: Are you planning to expand into other areas?

DG: Yes, we are actually working on a lot of things. The main one being that in Miami, we’re pitching a TV show idea for our Latin American audience. In the long run, the ideal goal would be to add a record label aspect to the company.

WSN: We know that you make your own music. How would you describe your style?

DG: Right now, my music has been dancier and leaning towards pop with a hint of psychedelic music. I’ve recently decided that I really like disco so that’s been coming up in my music along with my decision to start DJ-ing lately. When I started this semester with my friend, we got the attention of a DJ booker and obtained a residency at Paul’s in SoHo. So I guess you could say things are going pretty well.

Danny G.’s new single will be released soon. Catch him every Tuesday at Paul’s Cocktail Lounge, 2 Sixth Ave (21+).

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 13 print edition. Email Dyanna Fleites-Cruz at [email protected]