Trend Predictions From The International Fashion Week Powerhouses

Sherah Ndjongo, Contributing Writer

Fashion week never leaves us with a shortage of designers, captivating collections or a forecast of trends. New York Fashion Week didn’t let us down with the abundance of exaggerated ruffles, infinite shades of yellow and bathrobes as outerwear for the much anticipated Spring/Summer 2017 seasons. The international fashion week runways did not disappoint either.

London Fashion Week

The ‘80s are back. British designers reconstructed classic wardrobe staples from the era — such as bold animal prints, stonewashed denim and shoulder-padded blazers — in a more modern way.

Uneven hemlines and gingham made quite the appearance as LFW progressed. With it being such a simple yet eye-catching print, gingham will soon be seen everywhere as it can be worn anywhere at any time.

Milan Fashion Week

Everyone has had those days when they wished they could wear their pajamas to class without being judged. Thanks to what has been showcased at MFW, your wish has finally been granted. Take your pick between matching pastel-colored two piece pajama sets or lightweight metallic slip dresses —  either way, you’re bound to make a statement without putting in too much effort.

After being sent down this season’s runway, crochet is creating a ton of buzz. Now, knitwear in the fall and winter is clearly nothing groundbreaking. But knitted halter tops for the spring and summer? That’s a whole different story. Nonetheless, there are endless possibilities as to how this could be styled, which is something worth keeping an eye on.

Paris Fashion Week

Finally, we find ourselves in Paris, the city where minimalism is key. This hasn’t changed, of course, but what has changed is that French fashion houses are gradually taking the turn from chic and timeless to cool and edgy, capturing the hearts of younger consumers. There is an emphasis on what the young people are wearing every day, as if designers are taking a cue from the cool kids and what they are rocking on the streets. This doesn’t mean that the key timeless factor of the French design houses has been abandoned completely, but rather they are making minor embellishments as new audiences begin to express interest.
Once again, as the fashion weeks all over the world make their seasonal rotation, we’re left satisfied and inspired by all the new trends for Spring/Summer 2017. Whether you are actively trying to take a huge fashion risk or experimenting with a more sleek and simplistic look there’s a trend for everyone to experiment with.

Email Sherah Ndjongo at [email protected].