Temporary Tattoos here to stay

Nathaly Pesantez

Flash tattoos are making a comeback as the weather gets warmer.

Madison Reis, Contributing Writer

Temporary tattoos, the metallic, two-dimensional jewelry that hit the mainstream last summer, are about to make a major comeback once warmer weather arrives. A runway staple the past few seasons, the trend is becoming more mainstream, worn by recently by Beyoncé, model Alessandra Ambrosio and actress Katie Holmes.  These tattoos are perfect for anyone who is too indecisive to handle real ink is simply looking to add some bling to their summer outfits. With festival season and warmer weather right around the corner, here is what you need to know about buying and styling this trend.

Many websites sell these tattoos, but some are higher quality than others.  Two of the originals are flashtat.com and tattify.com.  Some of the cheaper alternatives to these sites may not stick as well or show up as metallic as the better quality ones.  The prices range depending on size, but are usually around $5 to $20, with each tattoo lasting from four to seven days. 

Metallic temporary tattoos come in many designs, from tiny gold triangles and big silver diamonds to feathers, butterflies and Aztec patterns in a full rainbow of metallic colors. Many companies sell their tattoos in design packs, each containing about four sheets that have multiple designs on them.  Each pack should last for several months. 

Another popular style is tattoos that look like jewelry, with many people layering metallic tattoo necklaces and bracelets.  These come in handy at places like concerts or the beach, where you may lose or damage real jewelry.

You can also find these tattoos at Topshop, where you get one sheet for about $5, and Sephora, where you get four sheets for about $22. If you are looking to splurge on a designer temporary tattoo, Dior has come out with their own style that is made with real 24 carat gold for $120 a set.

Regardless of which you buy, there are several ways to style your new tattoo. If you are planning to wear them to the beach, try matching your tattoos with your swimsuit. You can also pair any temporary tattoo with real jewelry.   Seen all over Pinterest and Instagram, the contrast of the 2-D and 3-D designs transforms the casual beach trend into a suitable style for a sophisticated evening.  The designs are great for testing out potentially real tattoo options, or to just add a fun accent to an everyday look.

A version of this article appeared in the April 2 print edition.  Email Madison Reis at [email protected]