Tips for breaking into fashion

Madison Reis, Contributing Writer

Everyone who has seen “The Devil Wears Prada” has aspired to be Anne Hathaway’s character, who works at a major fashion magazine for an Anna Wintour look-alike. Scoring those internships can be difficult, though, so here are some tips on how to find a spot the fashion industry.

Find the right place for you

There are so many different internships available, and some students find they prefer working at small startups where they can really be hands-on, while others prefer larger corporations where they can be part of a big team.  Fashion internships can span across a wide variety of interests, including writing, branding, designing, photography and more. Whatever you prefer, find out what fits you best. There are plenty of websites to help you narrow your selection, including freefashioninterships.com, indeed.com, internqueen.com and ed2010.com. The NYU Wasserman Center for Career Development is also a great place to start, as is looking for a career section on the website of a company you want to work for.

Do your research

Whether it is a small blog or a major magazine, research and learn the ins and outs of the company. It is important to learn about the people you look up to and admire at the company, as their work will likely come up in an interview. You will understand exactly what they are looking for, their style and how to impress them.

Reach out

As soon as you think you have your résumé all figured out, send it to any mentors you may have — your writing professor, your mom, your previous employer or the Wasserman Center. Get help from anyone with experience to look it over. When it comes to reaching out to the company, send personal emails or drop off your application in person, if it is allowed. It is important to send follow up emails or letters. Be personal and persistent, but always professional. If it does not work out for that specific internship, maybe you will make a great connection in the process.

Do the little things

Once you have landed your internship it is important to remain grounded. Maybe that means grabbing an extra coffee in the morning or organizing the papers in the office, but the little things count. Be humble, regardless of the task. It is those qualities that move you from intern to staff member in the future.

Be true to yourself

Remember that an internship is about finding the industry that best fits you. If you are at the right internship, you should be having an amazing time while also learning more every day. If you do not feel that way, talk to your boss and express what you think you could improve.  If there is a real issue at your internship, don’t be afraid to reach out for help.  Your academic advisor may be able to help fix the situation.  And if the industry is not for you, it is not the end of the world, and more knowledge about yourself and your interests is knowledge gained — embrace it. Every internship is a learning experience, even the ones that are not the best fit.  Learn from it and try something new the next time around. 

A version of this article appeared in the Wednesday, March 11 print edition.  Email Madison Reis at [email protected]