Movie-inspired dates for Valentine’s Day

Sang Bae

Subway dates on the MTA might be a little different from the train scene in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind”.

Sarah Kim, Contributing Writer

Train

Many people exchange special eye contact and smiles with strangers on the train. In “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” for instance, Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet) show instant attraction toward each other on the Long Island Railroad. It is also one of the best date spots if you’re up to take a spontaneous adventure with your date. With or without a destination, the train creates a tranquil atmosphere to simply talk and enjoy each other’s company.

Diner

An old fashioned diner may not seem the ideal place for a romantic night out, but Pat (Bradley Cooper) and Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) prove otherwise in “Silver Linings Playbook.” Comfortable and relaxing, an old diner like Waverly on Sixth Avenue creates the perfect environment to get to know more about your date. One of the perks of this date spot is that it is affordable and far from intimidating.

Play or Musical

Go to a nearby school play or musical. It is the perfect chance to discover your date’s artistic tastes or initiate conversations about hobbies and interests. And who knows, you might end up being the next David (Hugh Grant) and Natalie (Martine McCutcheon), caught kissing on stage in “Love, Actually.”

Rooftop

If you’re feeling drained by constant phone calls and text messages interrupting the conversations with your other half, perhaps the rooftop of a skyscraper can help the two of you reconnect as Dylan (Justin Timberlake) and Jamie (Mila Kunis) did in “Friends with Benefits.” It is also a great place to think things through and clear your mind
of negativities.

Park

Consider taking full advantage of the countless parks found all over the city — relaxing, romantic, secluded and a refreshing change of scenery. Pack a delicious picnic and enjoy the view with your other — perhaps you’ll even fall in love like Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) and Summer (Zooey Deschanel) in “500 Days of Summer.”

A version of this article appeared in the Thursday, Feb. 12 print edition. Email Sarah Kim at features@nyunews.com.