Katie Gallagher Fall/Winter 2015

Madison Reis, Contributing Writer

Bright red and bold black in undeniably chic designs strutted around the studio at Pier 59 this afternoon for the Katie Gallagher Fall/Winter 2015 collection. Gallagher showed how dramatic simplicity can be when you commit to one extreme.

Whether it was an intensity of a color, a significantly wide leg  trouser next to a skin tight turtleneck or a large amount of skin shown with a sheer top, this collection pushed every boundary. It was powerful yet not overwhelming and overall a joy to watch.

The line was inspired by color, or rather the power of color. Gallagher has color synesthesia which is a form of synesthesia in which an individual’s perception of numbers, letters, and feelings are associated with the experience of colors. The oversized silhouettes, which differ from her usually very form-fitting aesthetic, are a physical representation of her perception.

Gallagher explained it as “If they were all walking towards us then you might see them as a blob, hence the oversized silhouettes, but then you can focus in on specific things like their arms and the big blocks of colors and the red pieces.”

Gallagher worked with Crown by Born to pair the looks with incredible boots in red and black hues. The shoes were beautifully cohesive to the monochromatic style. The make-up, by Romero Jennings for Mac Cosmetics, was simplistic and powerful coupling the ever stylish strong brows and eyes with a bold red lip.

Gallagher said “I like to stay away from trends and rather place people in stories.” With female powerhouse customers like the talented Taylor Swift, I’m sure we’d all like to play a character in any story Katie Gallagher creates.

Email Madison Reis at [email protected]