This Weekend: Feb. 6 to 8

This Weekend: Feb. 6 to 8

Tiffanie Hwang, Contributing Writer

Don’t let the chilly weather and snowfall keep you locked up indoors this weekend. The city offers a variety of events to help you embrace or escape the cold, for a relaxed or jam-packed weekend.

Free Music Fridays

For a relaxing start to the weekend, the Free Music Fridays held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the American Folk Art Museum is definitely worth a visit. Visitors are treated to live music at no cost. This Friday features Piedmont Bluz, an acoustic duo that has a lot of experience performing along the East Coast. With access to the museum’s cafe while listening to original songs from local musicians, Friday is going to be a good time.

Henri Matisse Exhibit

If you’re on the lookout for a special exhibit by a notable and revolutionary artist, make sure to catch “Henri Matisse: The Cutouts” at the Museum of Modern Art before it closes next Tuesday. Matisse’s work boasts vivacity, eccentricity, and bold colors that may warm you up in the midst of this cold weather. Make the most of MoMA’s free admission for all NYU students with a visit this Friday.

Cupid’s Undie Run

Make your Saturday a memorable one by checking out the annual Cupid’s Undie Run for a good laugh by watching participants run along the 1-mile course through the streets of the city in nothing but their underwear. The course begins at 2 p.m. at Stage 48 past Pier 84 and down Hudson River Park. Although there is a fee to participate, watching is completely free, so cheer on those runners. Even better, the race helps the community by raising money for the Children’s Tumor Foundation.

“The Butterfly Conservatory: Tropical Butterflies Alive in Winter”

Escape the winter chills and visit the butterfly conservatory at the American Museum of Natural History. The butterfly vivarium stretches over 1,000 square feet with temperatures of up to 80 degrees. With hundreds of beautiful butterflies, or more than enough butterflies you might believe you’re basking in a summer day. Tickets are $17 with your NYU student ID and the exhibition is open from 10 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.

Email Tiffanie Hwang at [email protected].