Shades of Gray Spring/Summer 2014

Click for more looks from Shades of Gray Spring/Summer 2014.

Don’t let the name fool you; Shades of Grey by Micah Cohen is mixing more than just black and white this upcoming season. The Spring/Summer 2014 collection is nothing short of a sartorial balancing act, expertly marrying modernity with accessibility, subtlety with edginess, and glamour with functionality. “I wanted these pieces to be both wearable and progressive,” explains Cohen, clad in a denim top, cuffed jeans, and tan loafers. “I wanted to prove that aesthetically, it can work.” One look at any of the 22 ensembles on display, and it becomes clear that he has done just that.

The linen colorblock sailing jacket, for example, is a masterful hybrid of sporty and sophisticated when paired with a knit pant. Similarly, the daytime-friendly navy and tan long-sleeved romper doubles as a go-to evening piece that can be easily dressed up with heels and bold accessories. The versatility of Cohen’s creations is undeniable, especially with the help of the lighting design. Upstairs, sunlight poured through the windows, while downstairs, dim fluorescent lighting evoked more of an after-hours ambiance. The fact that the collection’s style distinguishes itself in both atmospheres is a testament to its irrefutable wearability.

It might be slightly counterintuitive that a collection featuring a neutral color palette, accented by black Falke socks, black Birkenstock sandals, and black Moscot sunglasses, delivers such a striking effect. Cohen’s secret is his ability to find the novelty in simplicity. “This collection is different from a typical Spring/Summer collection because it’s not exactly bright,” notes Cohen. “But, I liked the idea of doing something different.”