Gabriel Hawthorne

Gabriel Hawthorne, Deputy News Editor

Gabe Hawthorne is a sophomore from Arizona double-majoring in economics and environmental studies with a minor in Global Public Health. In his free time, he can be found spending time with friends, running by the water, or trying to learn a new language (currently learning Arabic). You can reach him at [email protected].

All content by Gabriel Hawthorne
An eco-friendly wall covered in green plants and pink flowers framed by brown and yellow roofing and walls.

NYU: Greenhouse emissions halved by 2025, carbon neutral by 2040

NYU administrators provided updates on the university’s efforts to combat climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions at its second annual State of Sustainability address.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Deputy News Editor April 26, 2022

NYU president Andrew Hamilton announced that the university is still on track to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions to 50% of what they were in 2006 by 2025 during the second...

An illustration of a wooden box in a park. A pair of legs with blue jeans and black Converse sneakers stands on top of the box. The box reads “WSN.”

The Soapbox: Growing opposition challenges global leaders’ expanding power

The Soapbox is a weekly column by WSN’s news desk examining the major developments in world news and rounding up the stories we think are worth the read this week. Global consciousness for a global university.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Deputy News Editor April 12, 2022

Pakistan’s prime minister removed by Parliament Imran Khan, the former prime minister of Pakistan, was ousted by Parliament after losing a no-confidence vote on the morning...

A crowd of people march on the street in a protest passing by parked cars holding protest banners.

East Village rally protests destruction of houseless communities

New York residents protested the citywide sweeps and demanded that Mayor Eric Adams provide community-controlled housing during a demonstration in Tompkins Square Park on April 8.

More than 100 people stood in solidarity with their unhoused neighbors on Friday, April 8, to protest the sweep of encampments throughout New York City. The Tompkins Square...

School of Global Public Health unveils new building, welcomes incoming dean

The school held a ribbon-cutting ceremony to officially open its new building at 708 Broadway.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Deputy News Editor April 1, 2022

Dozens of NYU community members, including President Andrew Hamilton, gathered for a ribbon-cutting ceremony to unveil the School of Global Public Health’s new building at...

A student seated indoors, wearing a black mask, tan headphones, and a blue sweater with a reclining green frog.

Students conflicted about NYU easing mask mandate

As NYU drops its indoor mask mandate for some locations on campus, students express mixed feelings about the university’s decision and the further lifting of COVID-19 restrictions.
Gabriel Hawthorne and Carmo Moniz March 31, 2022

NYU’s decision to drop its indoor mask mandate in some locations starting yesterday has stirred mixed feelings among students over whether the university made the right decision.  According...

An illustration of a wooden box. A pair of legs with gray pants and white sneakers stands on top of the box. The box reads “WSN.” On the bottom left there is a Ukrainian flag and on the top right, a Russian flag.

The Soapbox: Civilians evacuate Ukraine, protests erupt in Russia

Gabriel Hawthorne, Deputy News Editor February 25, 2022

Russian President Vladimir Putin announced on Feb. 24 a Russian “military operation” in Ukraine. Putin said the operation aims to accomplish the “demilitarization and de-Nazification”...

An illustration of the Washington Square Arch. Behind the arch sits gray and brown alternating high-rises. On the top right are the words “The Daybook” in an arched shape.

What to do this week: Bumper cars and a date night at the Met

The Daybook is WSN’s weekly column listing in-person and online events at NYU and across New York City. This week: Feb. 21 to Feb. 27.
Abby Wilson and Gabriel Hawthorne February 20, 2022

An art display for the Bronx fire 10 a.m.-6 p.m. at 231 10th Ave. Free, open to the public More than two dozen local artists will feature their work at the West Chelsea...

Patricia McSteen will join NYUs Department of Campus Safety as the senior associate vice president and deputy of campus safety. McSteen was previously the student affairs administrator and dean of students at Ohio University.

NYU campus safety hires new administrator

Patricia McSteen, Ohio University’s former dean of students, will join the campus safety department next week to bolster community outreach.
Abby Wilson and Gabriel Hawthorne February 8, 2022

Patricia McSteen, a former interim senior associate vice president and dean of students at Ohio University, will join NYU’s campus safety department as the second in command....

Starting Friday, Feb. 4, students will be allowed to eat in dining halls. (Photo by Jake Capriotti)

NYU to ease COVID restrictions starting Friday

The university will allow indoor dining again starting Feb. 4. On Feb. 7, restrictions on gyms, events, study rooms and club activities will be lifted.
Lauren Ashe, Gabriel Hawthorne and Carmo Moniz February 2, 2022

NYU will loosen its COVID-19 restrictions on campus starting Friday, Feb. 4, the university announced in an email sent Wednesday evening. NYU cited its booster requirement and...

The NYU community is experiencing a high number of COVID-19 cases. Students can access Binx saliva tests in NYU housing. (Staff Photo and Screenshot by Ryan Walker)

Explained: What to do if you test positive for COVID-19

Here’s WSN’s guide on how to report a positive test to NYU, move to quarantine and end your isolation period.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Deputy News Editor January 26, 2022

Editor’s note: This article was published in January 2022. Guidelines and requirements from NYU and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may have since changed. As...

The School of Professional Studies at NYU is shutting down the English Language Institute at the end of the semester. The closure will result in dozens of staff layoffs and the loss of English programs which serve international students. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

NYU cuts English program that served international students, fires staff

The School of Professional Studies at NYU will shut down its Comprehensive English Program at the end of this semester — a move that faculty say will effectively eliminate the entire English Language Institute.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Staff Writer December 6, 2021

The Comprehensive English Program at NYU’s School of Professional Studies will be shut down at the end of the fall 2021 semester, according to an Oct. 1 statement from SPS dean...

In early November, New York City’s COVID-19 positive test rate was 2.06% while NYU’s was 0.76%. A decrease in hospitalizations and deaths accompany the increase in the positive test rate. (Staff Photo by Ryan Walker)

NYU sees slight rise in COVID cases as winter approaches

In the week leading up to the Thanksgiving holiday, an increase in New York City’s new reported COVID-19 cases has some students concerned about breakthrough infections.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Staff Writer November 22, 2021

NYU reported a slim increase in the number of COVID-19 cases on campus as positivity rates increased in New York City over the past four weeks.  In the most recent testing...

On Nov. 17, NYU president Andrew Hamilton held a town hall meeting over Zoom. The meeting addressed questions about campus safety, COVID-19, the university’s affordability and student life issues. (Image via NYU Town Hall)

Hamilton discusses NYU dorm intruder response, denies private prison investment

At a town hall meeting on Nov. 17, NYU president Andrew Hamilton and other university leaders answered student questions ranging from campus safety to demonstrated financial aid.
Gabriel Hawthorne and Maria Freyre November 18, 2021

NYU president Andrew Hamilton responded to questions about campus security, COVID-19, the university’s finances and student life issues at a town hall meeting on Wednesday, Nov....

Student workers at Columbia University marched on a picket line. They advocated for a better contract with improved working conditions and benefits. (Staff Photo by Manasa Gudavalli)

Columbia student workers strike again for a fair contract

The Student Workers of Columbia-UAW union enters its third week of striking to bring Columbia University back to the bargaining table.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Staff Writer November 15, 2021

For the last two weeks, Student Workers of Columbia-UAW have been on the picket line to demand that Columbia University return to the bargaining table and agree on a fair labor...

The NYU School of Law’s Lead the Way campaign raised over $540 million. NYU Law students want that money to be used for student financial aid. (Photo by Kevin Wu)

Law students want more say in spending of $540M fundraised by NYU Law

The NYU School of Law is beginning to allocate money from its Lead the Way capital campaign. Students want a role in the process.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Staff Writer October 28, 2021

The NYU School of Law completed its Lead the Way campaign in August 2021, raising more than $540 million to increase student financial aid, add faculty and create new academic...

A sign outside a restaurant near campus tells patrons that they must be vaccinated to be served. However, many NYU students have reported that local businesses are not complying with Mayor DeBlasio’s mandate. (Staff Photo by Jake Capriotti)

NYC vaccine mandate goes unenforced at local businesses

The city’s Key to NYC vaccine mandate came into effect Sept. 13, but NYU students and local businesses have expressed concerns about its implementation.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Staff Writer October 1, 2021

Despite Mayor Bill de Blasio’s Key to NYC vaccine mandate for indoor activities having gone into full effect on Sept. 13, students have noticed that some local businesses are...

On Friday, Sept. 10, almost 50 members of the NYU community gathered on the steps of Kimmel to reflect and share stories on the 9/11 attacks, 20 years later. The names of the 59 alumni who died on 9/11 were read out loud, followed by a 20-second moment of silence. (Photo by Gabriel Hawthorne)

Kimmel Center holds Sept. 11 remembrance event

Faculty and staff recalled their stories of the World Trade Center attacks and shared messages of solidarity.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Staff Writer September 13, 2021

Nearly 50 members of the NYU community — including alumni, students, employees and faculty — sat together in silence on the bottom steps of the Kimmel Center for University...

Members of NYUs community witnessed the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks from different areas of New York City. NYU professors who were in New York City share their personal accounts of Sept. 11, 2001. (Staff Photos by Manasa Gudavalli, Image courtesy of Carol Tosone, Image courtesy of Jay Rosen)

NYU faculty recount the Sept. 11 attacks 20 years later

Professors share their personal accounts of the attack on the World Trade Center and offer advice to current NYU students.
Gabriel Hawthorne, Staff Writer September 11, 2021

Twenty years ago today, the beginning of NYU’s fall 2001 semester was cast into disarray. The university community found itself at the epicenter of a terrorist attack that forever...