Men’s Volleyball Climbs to Division III Number One

A recap of everything NYU Athletics from Feb. 24 to March 1.
Charlie Dodge
Staff Illustration by Charlie Dodge

Men’s Volleyball

The men’s volleyball team was ranked first in Division III on Tuesday, Feb. 25. However, NYU finished the week with a 1-1 record. On Wednesday, Feb. 26, the Violets swept Stevens Institute of Technology, winning 25-22, 25-18 and 25-23. Tied at 16, NYU went on a 3-0 run, ultimately winning the first set. In the second set, the Violets jumped to an 11-3 lead, winning by a comfortable margin. The third set, down 23-22, the Violets went on a 3-0 run to complete the sweep. Violet leaders included CAS seniors Evan Lindley with 13 kills, Matin Bikdeli with 42 assists and Connor Keowen with eight digs.

On Saturday, Feb. 29, the Violets suffered their first loss against St. John Fisher College. NYU won the first two sets (25-22, 27-25), but lost the final three sets (27-25, 26-24, 19-17). In the third set, tied at 25, the Cardinals scored two straight points, winning their first set. In the fourth set, tied 24-24, the Cardinals scored on two straight plays, securing the victory. In the final set, the Violets and the Cardinals were tied at 17, but the Cardinals scored on two straight plays, completing the 3-2 victory. Violet leaders included Lindley with 19 kills, Bikdeli with 50 assists and Keowen with 16 digs.

The Violets return to action on March 2 against North Central College.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team defeated Brandeis University (91-73) on Saturday, Feb. 29. The Violets dominated on offense, shooting 45.7% from the field. Steinhardt junior Janean Cuffee led the Violets with 31 points, Steinhardt first-year Jenny Walker led with 10 rebounds and CAS senior Annie Barrett led with 10 assists.

The Violets finish the regular season with a 20-5 record. 

Women’s Fencing

On Saturday, Feb. 29, the women’s fencing team competed at the National Intercollegiate Women’s Fencing Association Championships at Drew University, finishing in second place overall. Stern first-year Chiara Codazzi stood out, finishing in second place in foil.

The Violets compete on March 8, at the NCAA Regional Championships at Cornell University.

Men’s Tennis

The men’s tennis team opened their season with a loss to Swarthmore College (6-3) on Saturday, Feb. 29. The Violets stood out in doubles, winning two out of the three matches. 

On Sunday, March 1, NYU lost to North Carolina Wesleyan College 7-2. In singles, Yang (4-6, 6-1, 6-4) and CAS senior Zeb Zheng (6-4, 6-4, 9-7) were the only players on the team to win their matchups

NYU faces Southern Virginia University on March 7.

Women’s Tennis

On Sunday, March 1, the women’s tennis team defeated North Carolina Wesleyan College 9-0. Standouts on the Violets team were the doubles pairing of Gallatin junior Kate Shaffer and Liberal Studies first-year Anastasiia Balyk, who won their match 8-1.

NYU faces Southern Virginia University on March 7 

Baseball

The baseball team opened their season on Sunday, March 1 with a 6-2 victory against Roger Williams University. Violet leaders included Tait and Stern senior Ford Ladd led the team with two hits apiece and SPS junior and starting pitcher Gabe Golob received the victory, throwing seven innings, allowing only one run.

NYU faces William Paterson University on March 5.

Men’s Wrestling

On Saturday, Feb. 29 and Sunday, March 1, the men’s wrestling team competed in the NCAA Northeast Regional Qualifier at Rhode Island College. On day one, Liberal Studies first-years Tyler Crew and Trent Furman, CAS seniors Evan Drill and Jack La Corte, Stern senior Sean Lyons, CAS sophomore Izaake Zuckerman and CAS junior Will Ortman qualified for the semifinals for the NCAA Northeast Regional Qualifier.

On day two, Drill, Zuckerman and LaCorte medaled in bronze in the 165-pound, 174-pound and the 197-pound bracket and Lyons medaled in gold in the 157-pound bracket. They all qualified for the NCAA National Championship. Overall, the Violets finished in third place.

The Violets compete on March 13 for the NCAA Division III National Championship in Cedar Rapids, IA.

Women’s Track and Field

On Saturday, Feb. 29 and Sunday, March 1, the women’s track and field team competed in the UAA Championship. On day one, CAS junior Evelyn Nkanga and CAS first-year Isre’al Conerly finished in first and second place in the 200-meter preliminaries. Both Nkanga and Conerly qualified for the finals, and Conerly’s performance in the 400-meter preliminaries (third place) resulted in her qualifying for the 400-meter finals. Tandon graduate student Rebecca MacLeod (fifth place) also qualified for the 800-meter finals.

On day two, Nkanga medaled in gold in the 200-meter finals. Conerly medaled in gold in the 400-meter finals. Steinhardt first-year Siena Moran medaled in bronze in the mile run. Overall, NYU finished in sixth place in the meet.

Select members of the Violets will compete on March 6 and March 7 at the All-Atlantic Region Indoor Championships at Nazareth College.

Men’s Track and Field

On Saturday, Feb. 29 and Sunday, March 1, the men’s team competed in the UAA Championship. On day one, Liberal Studies first-year Kamden Martin finished in fifth place in the 60-meter preliminaries and finished in sixth place in the 200-meter preliminaries, SPS senior Julian Montilus and CAS first-year David Obwaya finished in fifth and eighth place in 60-meter hurdles preliminaries, CAS first-year Daniel Akande finished in eighth place in the 400-meter preliminaries and CAS first-year Jon Diaz finished in third place in the 800-meter preliminaries. Martin, Montilus, Obwaya, Akande and Diaz all qualified for the finals.

On day two, CAS senior Benjamin Karam medaled in bronze in the one-mile run and CAS sophomore Owen Mountford received a bronze medal in the shot put. Overall, NYU finished in fifth place in the meet.

Select members of the Violets compete on March 6 and March 7 at the All-Atlantic Region Indoor Championships at Nazareth College.

Swimming and Diving

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving team competed in the NCAA Division III Northeast Regional Diving Championships hosted by Springfield College on Friday, Feb. 28 and Saturday, Feb. 29. On the men’s team, Rory Meyers sophomore Cole Vertin and CAS first-year Hunter Whitbeck, who finished in fifth and sixth place on the three-meter board, qualified for the National Championship. On the women’s team,  CAS senior Carmen White qualified for the National Championship, finishing in fourth place on the one-meter board. 

The Violets return to action on March 18, competing in the NCAA Championship in Greensboro, North Carolina.

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Mar. 2, 2020, print edition. Email Arvind Sriram at [email protected].

Arvind Sriram, Sports Editor
Arvind is a first-year intending to study Economics and Journalism. He's from Arizona but proudly proclaims himself as a New Yorker despite living here for only three months. If you want to debate obscure sports topics such as the most valuable role players in the NBA, hit him up on Instagram @arvindsriram04.
Charlie Dodge, Creative Director
Charlie Dodge is a cartoonist/writer/junior at Gallatin studying 21st Century Storytelling. Originally a Californian, she has once again taken refuge in NYC this semester. She loves museums (especially the free ones) and has aspirations for a future curatorial career. Charlie frequently collaborates with Leo Sheingate, and posts way too many photos on Instagram @muckrakerdodge.