Women’s Basketball Continues to Dominate

The men’s basketball team picked up their first win, three cross country runners advanced to nationals, fencing and soccer fell, women’s volleyball advanced to the ECAC finals and wrestling took home fourth in their tournament.
Sam Klein
The women’s basketball team during a practice in Feb. 2018. (Photo by Sam Klein)

Women’s Basketball
The Violets continued to run through their opponents this week, beating Farmingdale State on Tuesday and Sarah Lawrence College and Stevens University this weekend by a combined differential of 146. In both games, NYU never trailed. On Tuesday, the Violets won 91-47. Game leaders were CAS first-year Brooklyn Shelton and Steinhardt junior Janean Cuffee with 16 points, CAS senior Annie Barrett with seven assists and Steinhardt first-year Jenny Walker with six rebounds. The team shot over 50% from the field and had 30 assists on 36 made shots in the game. 

On Saturday, NYU competed in the NYU Women’s Basketball Tip-Off Classic, opening with a 99-18 win over Sarah Lawrence. The Violets never led by less than 11 and only gave up four points in the first quarter. A 61-6 halftime lead set the tone for the second half, where NYU didn’t let off on the gas at all. Team leaders were Cuffee with 17 points, Steinhardt sophomore Meghan McLaughlin with 10 rebounds and Barrett and SPS first-year Annie Carlile with seven assists. On Sunday, the Violets won their fourth straight game to open the season, taking down Stevens 99-77. NYU trailed early, but after a 12-12 tie, the Violets took the lead and never looked back. Cuffee led both teams in scoring with 33, and Annie Barrett led NYU with 12 rebounds and eight assists. 

NYU will next hit the court on Saturday, when they take on Cabrini University. 

Men’s Basketball
Men’s basketball went 1-2 this week after losing their first game last week. On Wednesday, the Violets lost a close game to Hobart College 80-76. NYU led until the 2:35 mark in the second half, when Hobart took its first lead. This was quickly answered with a three, giving NYU a 76-74 lead. Then, with 49 seconds in the half, a Hobart three put the game away. Team leaders for the Violets were SPS senior Jimmy Martinelli with 18 points and 10 rebounds and CAS sophomore Nick Macarchuck with six assists. 

On Saturday, NYU opened play at the Hampton Inn Jim Beaudry Classic, beating Mitchell College 81-73 for their first win of the year. The Violets never trailed and led by as much as 18 over the course of the game. Halfway through the second half, Mitchell was able to cut the NYU lead to four, but couldn’t complete the comeback. Violet leaders were SPS first-year Miles Somerville with 17 points, and CAS junior Seny Andreev with seven rebounds and five assists. 

On Sunday, the Violets closed out the tournament with a 72-58 loss to the University of New England. NYU was able to close a 15 point deficit, tying the game at 47 at one point in the second half, but the Violets were unable to take the lead. Team leaders for NYU were CAS senior Ethan Feldman with 16 points, Macarchuk with eight boards and Martinelli with three assists.   

The Violet’s next game will be against Wells College on Saturday. 

Men’s Fencing
The Violets fell to defending NCAA champions Columbia University 19-8 on Thursday at the Top of the Park Clash in the Kimmel Center for University Life. The Lions won 6-3 in foil and epee and 7-2 in sabre. CAS first-year Ian Adler, CAS junior Lucas Hsing and CAS junior Sam Bekker won one epee bout, while Stern seniors Eric Zobel and Gabriel Mejia-Ruiz won a foil bout. In sabre, Gallatin junior Zachary Schindler and LS first-year Brian Kim each won a bout. 

NYU will next compete at the Sacred Heart Tradition Tournament on Dec. 8. 

Women’s Fencing
The women’s fencing team also took on Columbia at Kimmel on Thursday, and Columbia’s women’s team is also reigning NCAA champions. The Violets lost 22-5, but saw some success in sabre, where they only lost 5-4. NYU only picked up one other win on the day, in epee, and went winless in foil. In sabre, GLS sophomore Allison Dunlap won two bouts in sabre, while Rory Meyers sophomore Chloe Chen and CAS junior Elizabeth Sweetra each won one. Tandon sophomore Ally Hu secured the Violets’ only win in epee. 

Wrestling
The Violets took fourth place at the Roger WIlliams University Tournament this weekend with 119.5 points. Seventeen of the 18 wrestlers NYU sent to the tournament advanced after day one on Friday. On Saturday, five Violets placed in the top five of their brackets, with two finishing first. CAS Senior Evan Drill won the 149-pound bracket with four falls and two decisions, and Stern senior Sean Lyons won the 157-pound bracket by overcoming a 6-0 deficit in the championship round to win 8-6. Other top-five finishers were CAS sophomore Izaake Zukerman, who placed second in the 174-pound bracket, SPS sophomore Kade Loughney, who took home third in the 165-pound bracket and LS first-year Trent Furman, who finished in fifth place in the 133-pound bracket. 

The Violets will next take the mat on Saturday, when they wrestle in the NYS Championships, hosted by Oswego State. 

Women’s Volleyball
NYU opened play in the ECAC tournament this weekend and won both the quarter and semi final matches. On Saturday, the Violets swept Marywood University 25-15, 25-19 and 25-21. Every set was hotly contested and each team led at various points in the last two sets. NYU was able to advance on a service ace by Tisch sophomore Abby Ausmus. Team leaders were LS sophomore Emily Kleck and Stern first-year Haley Holz with seven kills, Stern first-year Nicole Dao with 22 assists and CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli and CAS sophomore Lauren Robinson with 10 digs each. On Sunday, the Violets had a double header to finish the tournament. In game one, they continued their winning ways, sweeping Misericordia University 25-17, 25-20 and 25-18. Team leaders were Ausmus with 10 kills, Dao with 15 assists and Kupeli with seven digs. 

The Violets lost their only set of the tournament in the final round, as they cruised to a 3-1 victory over McDaniel College to win the ECAC title. After splitting the first two sets, and winning a close third, the Violets were never behind in the final set of the tournament. Dao, who was named championship MVP, Holz and Ausmus were named to the All-Tournament team.

The ECAC Championship Tournament marks the end of the season. The Violets will return to the court for a short spring season, then again next fall. 

Men’s Cross Country
The Violets ran in the NCAA Atlantic Region Championship, hosted by St. Lawrence University on Saturday. NYU finished 12th in the 42-team, 8k race with 327 points. CAS junior Dillan Spector finished tops for NYU and in 28th place overall with a time of 26:00.9. This time was good enough to send Spector to the Division III NCAA Championship next Saturday. Other scorers for NYU were CAS junior Jonathan Sussman in 38th place with a time of 26:10.7, CAS senior Ben Karam in 69th place in 26:35.4, CAS junior Sam Klein in 26:59.5 and 94th place and GLS first-year Liam de Beaufort in 98th place with a time of 27:03.7. The season is now complete for every runner but Spector.

Women’s Cross Country
NYU placed 10th in the NCAA Atlantic Region Championship on Saturday. 38 teams competed in the 6k course. The Violet’s top runner was Steinhardt first-year Siena Moran, who finished in fifth place with a time of 22:34.2. CAS first-year Leah Haley and CAS senior Milly Ames placed in 25th and 49th place, with times of 23:15.7 and 23:50.4 respectively. Steinhardt sophomore Kate Gallagher finished in 96th place and 24:52.2, and Stern first-year Julia Mao placed 118th, with a time of 25:16.17.   

Most of the team is now done for the season, but Haley and Moran will run at the NCAA Division III Championship on Saturday.

Men’s Soccer
The Violets began and ended their ECAC Tournament run this weekend with a 2-1 win against Hood College on Saturday and an 0-1 loss to Muhlenberg College on Sunday. The first match of the tournament went well for NYU. Their first goal came in the 38th minute when Stern sophomore Louis Meeks was assisted by Stern first-year Keegan Ledger. Later, in the 80th minute, Stern first-year Evan Lewis was assisted by LS junior Maxi Rodriguez to double the lead. Five minutes later, Hood rallied with a goal of their own, but the score remained the same from there. 

On Sunday, in the semifinal match, the Violets lost a defensive match. Muhlenberg scored the lone goal of the game in the sixth minute and the score held from there. Despite the low score, Muhlenberg outshot NYU 13-7 and 9-5 in shots on goal. The Violets wrap up their year 8-8-2 overall and 3-3-1 in UAA play. 

Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].