Women’s Soccer Takes Home Opener by a Wide Margin

This weekend, the women’s volleyball and soccer teams picked up big wins, while the golf and tennis teams did well in multi-day tournaments, and men’s soccer ended its losing streak.
Sam Klein
Sophomore Oliver Kleban takes a shot in a September 2018 game against John Jay. (Photo by Sam Klein)

Women’s Volleyball 

The women’s volleyball team continued its winning ways this weekend, sweeping every match that they played in the Kean Invite. The team is now 10-1 after strong performances from many players on Friday and Saturday.

On the first day of the invite, NYU beat Gettysburg College 25-18, 25-20 and 25-14. They then faced Moravian College and swept them, winning 25-17, 25-15 and 25-8. The first game of the latter match was close throughout, but in the next two, the Violets jumped out to 12-6 and 10-3 leads and Moravian never came close. 

Day two was Saturday, and NYU again swept its two opponents. Leading the way for the Violets were tournament MVP and Stern first-year Haley Holz, who finished with 11 kills in the first match and 19 in the latter, All-Tournament team selection CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli, who had 16 digs in the early match and 21 in the nightcap and Stern first-year Nicole Dao who tallied 44 assists on the day. 

The Violets return to the court on Wednesday when they host Mount Saint Vincent.

Men’s Golf

The Violets ended day one tied for first place in the tournament with Middlebury College, shooting 291 and seven over par. 

Liberal Studies first-year Christian Wentzel, current Liberty League rookie of the week, was NYU’s best golfer on the day, shooting 70 and one under par, which was good for third place. The Violets had four other golfers at 75 or under and in the top 20. Stern sophomore Joseph Burlison came in ninth, CAS first-year Alan Chen placed 12th and Tisch junior Robbie Keyes and Stern sophomore Chris Lee tied for 18th. Results have not been published as of press time.

The team’s next competition will be the Williams College Fall Invitational at Taconic Golf Course on Saturday.

Men’s Tennis

Day one of the Stevens Invitational was good to the men’s tennis team as they went 13-2 on the day. Saturday was for the individual matches, and the Violets saw plenty of success with five players winning both of their two matches on the day and CAS sophomore Christian Otero and Stern junior Stefan Rodic sweeping their Ithaca opponents. 

CAS first-year Alex Yang also won both his matches, and the second could be considered the match of the day. In a close match. Feliu took the first set 5-7, but then Yang came back, winning the next two 6-3 and 10-4. At the time this update is being written, day two results have yet to be posted.

Next, the team will travel north, facing Connecticut College at the USGCA Invitational on Saturday.

Women’s Tennis

Women’s tennis faced off against Vassar College, SUNY New Paltz and Connecticut College at the Vassar College Scramble this weekend. Saturday was for doubles, and NYU went 11-5 on the day. The best performance on Saturday belonged to Stern junior Anna Maria Buraya and Liberal Studies first-year Anastasiia Balyk, who won all three of their matches. Results have not been published as of press time.

The Violets will hit the court next on Saturday, September 21 when they compete in the ITA Northeast Regional Championships at William Smith College.

Men’s Soccer

Men’s soccer ended their losing streak in their home opener on Saturday with a double overtime draw against Baruch College. SPS senior Sergio Monton scored NYU’s lone goal in the 1-1 effort. It came in the 10th minute on a free kick, and held for most of the game. Then, in the 71st minute, Baruch sophomore Michael Grald headed in a corner to tie the match. This score held through the two overtimes, and NYU is now 0-4-1 on the season. Despite the tie, the Violets led in shots 19-11 and shots on goal 8-5.

NYU hits the road again this Wednesday when they take on SUNY Maritime.

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team dismantled St. Joseph’s College – Long Island 10-1 on Sunday. It was an all-around effort for NYU with seven different Violets scoring. Liberal Studies first-year Gabriella Funk, Stern senior Isabelle Turner and Gallatin first-year Hadley Bushala scored twice. Tisch junior Lila Keltz, Tandon first-year Sydney Jo Presnell, Stern first-year Cora Creighton and CAS junior Tori Bianco each added one more goal. It was utter domination the whole way through with NYU outshooting St. Joseph’s 34-3 and leading 19-2 in shots on target.

The Violets will be at home again on Wednesday when they take on the University of Scranton. 

Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].

Benjamin Michael Davis, Deputy Sports Editor
WSN’s most bitter midwesterner is a sophomore in CAS studying Politics who has embraced a lifestyle and schedule founded upon his love of chaos. You can often find him out until 6 or 7 a.m. and awake again by 9 or 10. Why does he average less than four hours of sleep each night? How does he spend these hours awake? Typically by wandering the streets, working on essays he should’ve started weeks ago or loudly questioning why people don’t believe in such obvious inevitabilities as climate change or the Twins winning the next three World Series.
Sam Klein, Managing Editor
Sam Klein is a junior majoring in journalism and environmental science. He is interested in sustainable, large-scale farming and fishing as well as global economic development in the agricultural sector; he also supports eating insects. Outside of WSN he runs on NYU's cross-country and track teams. During his free time he enjoys photography, traveling, coffee and being outdoors. You can check out his work at samklein.myportfolio.com or on instagram @samkleinphotography.