Women’s Volleyball Picks up Three Wins, Now 6-1 on the Season

Over the weekend, women’s volleyball and women’s soccer pulled out wins to continue their impressive starts to the season. Meanwhile, the men’s soccer team has yet to win a game this season.
Sam Klein
Nazzarine Waldon of NYU Women’s Volleyball spikes the ball against Hunter College. (Staff Photo by Sam Klein)

Women’s Volleyball
The now 6-1 Violets easily picked up three wins before narrowly falling to Springfield College on Saturday.

NYU started the week with a win against Arcadia University in Glenside, Pennsylvania on Sept. 3. Team leaders included Stern first-year Haley Holz with 17 kills, Stern first-year Nicole Dao with 23 assists, and CAS junior Jackie Kupeli with 24 digs.

On Friday, the Violets continued their winning streak with another four-set victory, this time against Stockton University in the Brooklyn Athletic Facility. NYU picked up the first two sets 25-22 and 25-19, fell in the third 18-25, only to come back and take the fourth set 25-17.

A Saturday doubleheader was enough to slow down the Violets’ hot streak, however, as they failed to take the nightcap. NYU started the day, sweeping the now 2-4 Skidmore College. The next match against Springfield College was the longest the Violets have played this year, and resulted in the team’s first loss of the season. CAS sophomore Emily Kleck led the team with 11 kills, while Dao had a team-high 23 assists.

NYU’s next competition will be another doubleheader against Gettysburg College and Moravian College in Union, New Jersey on Sept. 13.

Men’s Tennis
Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams competed at the Lions Fall Kickoff Tournament at The College of New Jersey this weekend.

On Saturday, NYU split the eight singles competitions with The College of New Jersey, with Stern first-year Alex Yang, CAS sophomore Christian Otero, CAS senior Joshua Piatos and CAS junior Rahul Das winning their matches in straight sets.

On Sunday, the men were able to tack on six more singles wins from Otero, Piatos, Das, Stern junior Stefan Rodic and CAS sophomore Lucas Biondi, as well as their sole doubles win when Otero and Yang won their match 8-2.

Men’s tennis will be back in action at the Stevens Invitational in Pennington, New Jersey on Saturday.

Women’s Tennis
The women’s tennis team played in the Lions Fall Kickoff Tournament on Sunday, and saw plenty of success. The team won six of the nine singles competitions off of strong performances from Stern junior Anna Maria Buraya, CAS senior Coco Kulle, Stern first-year Karina Jensrud, Liberal Studies first-year Anastasiia Balyk, Stern senior Rupa Ganesh and Stern senior Judy Kam.

The Violets did even better in doubles, with strong performances from Kulle and Kam, Ganesh and Gallatin junior Kate Shaffer, Jensrund and CAS sophomore Ana Leonard and Buraya and Balyk, leading to seven wins when the tournament had finished.

The women will next take the court at the Vassar College Scramble on Sept. 14.

Men’s Cross Country
Men’s cross country won the Ron Stonitsch Invitational on Saturday, finishing with 39 points as a team. The tournament consisted of a 6K race, at which NYU had 7 runners place in the top 15, more than any other team.

CAS senior Jack Lillian placed first among NYU students and fourth in the race, crossing the line in 19:40.4. The Violets had three other runners finish in the top 10 as well: CAS junior Johnathan Sussman in sixth, Liberal Studies first-year Liam de Beaufort in eighth and Liberal Studies first-year Josh Holtzman in ninth.

The team’s next meet is the Purple Valley Classic, hosted by Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts on Sept. 28.

Women’s Cross Country
Women’s cross country also competed in the Ron Stonitsch Invitational on Saturday, running a 5K race and finishing with 43 points. The Violets had two runners place in the top five of the race. Steinhardt first-year Siena Moran took home second place with a time of 19:07.4 and CAS first-year Leah Haley finished in fourth with a time of 19:41.3.

The Violets return on Sept. 21, when they head to Annandale-on-Hudson, New York for a meet at Bard College. 

Golf
NYU’s golf teams both finished in first place on day one of the two-day St. Lawrence Invitational this past weekend. On the first day, the men shot 290 and the women shot 289.

Men’s golf’s next tournament is the Duke Nelson Invitational at Ralph Myhre Golf Course in Middlebury, Vermont on Saturday. The women’s team return on Sept. 21,  in South Hadley, Massachusetts to play in the Mount Holyoke Invitational at the Orchards Golf Course.

Women’s Soccer
The women’s soccer team improved their record to 3-0 on Saturday when they beat St. John Fisher College 2-0 at the Stevens Engineering Cup in Hoboken, New Jersey.

CAS senior Jade Keane scored the first goal of the game on an assist from CAS junior Sam March. Later, in the 87th minute, CAS sophomore Ellie Marks, who led the team with five shots, scored her first goal of the year and NYU’s second of the game to seal the win.

The Violets return to the pitch on Sunday, when they face off against St. Joseph’s College (Long Island).

Men’s Soccer
The men’s soccer team suffered a tight loss 2-1 in overtime to Drew University in Newark, New Jersey. In the 16th minute, Stern sophomore Oliver Kleban scored NYU’s lone goal on an assist by CAS junior Jake Velvel.

NYU’s next match will be Saturday against Baruch College.

A version of this article appears in the Monday, Sept. 9, 2019, print edition. Email Benjamin Michael Davis at [email protected].