Women’s Tennis Shines at UAA Championships

A recap of all things NYU athletics from April 7 to 13.
via gonyuathletics.com
Women’s tennis claimed multiple victories at the UAA championships in Florida. (Courtesy of NYU Athletics)

Baseball

The Violets played in a doubleheader against Emory University on both Saturday and Sunday at MCU Park. In the first game on Saturday, the Violets secured a 7-4 win, as CAS senior Jack Elias knocked in two runs. In the second game, Stern senior Ryan McLaughlin collected four hits and two RBIs, but the Violets could not complete the comeback and lost 8-5.

In Sunday’s first game, the Violets trailed 1-0 through eight innings. Stern junior Ford Ladd pitched eight innings, giving up two hits and one run. In the bottom of the eighth, the Violets rallied to tie the score at one. Next up, SPS senior Cole Hendershot delivered a game-winning single to give the Violets a 2-1 win on Senior Day. In the second game, Tandon first-year John Gassler pitched five innings, allowing only one run to improve to 3-0 on the season. Offensively, Hendershot led the Violets with two hits and two runs batted in, and the 6-3 NYU victory puts the Violets at 23-11 on the season.

The baseball team will return to action on Tuesday, April 30 when they will battle Baruch College at MCU Park.

Softball

The NYU softball team hosted Carnegie Mellon University for a four-game series this weekend in the Bronx. In their doubleheader on Saturday, the Violets jumped out to a 3-0 lead after three innings, eventually securing the victory 5-2. SPS senior Ashley Mains contributed three hits and an RBI, and Steinhardt senior Diana King hit a solo home run.

After suffering two losses, the Violets bounced back to win the second game of their Sunday doubleheader. In the second inning, the Violets plated five runs as Stern first-year Maggie Swan hit a bases-loaded double to knock in two runs. Gallatin senior Cassi Parulis pitched the final three innings, giving up only one run as the Violets secured the 10-8 win.

Men’s Tennis

Competing in the UAA tournament this past weekend, the NYU men’s tennis team played against Emory University, Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Rochester.

After suffering a 5-0 loss to both Emory and Carnegie, the Violets bounced back to beat the University of Rochester 5-4.

Women’s Tennis

The NYU women’s tennis team traveled to Florida to compete in the UAA championship this past weekend. After suffering a 5-0 loss to Carnegie Mellon, the Violets bounced back to beat Rochester 5-0.

Against Rochester, Stern senior Fleura Shiyanova and CAS junior Coco Kulle won their doubles match 8-3. Stern sophomore Anna Maria Buraya and Stern junior Judy Kam won their doubles match 8-2, and Stern junior Rupa Ganesh and LS sophomore Kate Shaffer won their match 8-5.

Against Washington University at St. Louis, the Violets won two out of their three doubles matches. A 4-4 tie came down to a singles match, where Kam secured the Violets victory in thrilling fashion. After winning the first set 6-3, Kam dropped the second set 7-5. In the third and final set, a 6-6 tiebreaker led to a 10-8 victory, and Kam came out on top, 6-3, 5-7, 7-6.

Women’s Golf

The women’s golf team finished in third place out of ten teams this past weekend, as it participated in the Jack Leaman Invitational in South Hadley, Massachusetts. Tisch sophomore Jessica Wu shot a two-round score of 155 (80-75), leading the Violets with an eleventh-placed finish. CAS senior Jenni Bluetling and CAS junior Arisa Kimura finished tied for twelth place.

The Violets return to action next weekend, when they will compete in the Liberty League Championships in Schenectady, New York.

Men’s Golf

The men’s golf team won the Liberty League Championship this past weekend at Turning Stone Resort in Verona, New York. Stern first-year Chris Lee led the Violets with a score of 227 (73-80-84), as Stern first-year Joseph Burlison and GLS junior Matt Shen also finished in the top ten.

The Violets return to action on May 14, when they will compete at the NCAA Championships in Nicholasville, Kentucky.

Email Brendan Duggan at [email protected].

Brendan Duggan, Sports Editor
Brendan Duggan is a senior in CAS studying English and is captain of the NYU Men's Volleyball team. Growing up in Boston, the most successful sports city in the world, he has a passion for sports and Dunkin' Donuts. In his free time, Brendan enjoys hiking, traveling, and spending time with his family and chocolate lab. Follow him on Twitter @OfficialBDuggs.