Stern Junior Sets NCAA Swimming Record

A recap of NYU Athletics from March 17 to 24.
Sam Klein
SPS junior Julian Montilus runs the 400m hurdles at the USF Bulls Invitational on Saturday. He placed sixth overall in the event. (Photo by Sam Klein)

Women’s Swimming 

Competing at the NCAA Division III National Championships in Greensboro, NC, the NYU women’s swimming team placed fifth out of 50 teams, recording 203 points, their best finish in program history. Stern junior Honore Collins won all three of NYU’s national championships and was also awarded National Swimmer of the Year honors. Collins won the 200-yard butterfly (2:00.40), the 200-yard individual medley (1:58.18) and the 400-yard individual medley (4:15.17). Her 200-yard individual medley time set an NCAA record. 

CAS first-year Rachel Reistroffer earned All-American honors with her fifth-place finish in the 1650-yard freestyle, recording a time of 16:55.85. The 2018-2019 historic season officially ended as the National Championship weekend concluded. 

Baseball

The NYU baseball team played six games in a row last week, losing to SUNY New Paltz and Rowan University, but winning four games in a row to improve to 10-3 on the season.  

In a shutout win over Illinois Institute of Technology, the Violets erupted for 16 runs while holding the Scarlet Hawks to three hits and zero runs. Leading the NYU offense, SPS senior Colman Hendershot recorded four RBIs, as ten Violets recorded at least one hit. Stern junior Sal Cammisuli tossed five shutout innings, giving up two hits and no walks, improving to 2-0 on the season. 

Against Plattsburgh State, NYU Head Coach Doug Kimbler recorded his 100th career win as the Violets rolled to a 4-2 victory. Stern seniors Ryan McLaughlin and Jack Walter each had RBIs in the second inning to give NYU an early lead, and Stern junior Ford Ladd pitched 6.2 innings, giving up only one earned run to improve to 3-1 on the season. 

The Violets recorded two more wins during their six-game stretch, including an 8-5 win over Plattsburgh State and a 30-19 win over Illinois Institute of Technology. The Violets return to action on Wednesday, March 27 and will attempt to avenge their loss to SUNY New Paltz. The game will be played at 4 p.m. at MCU Park in Brooklyn, NY. 

Softball

The NYU softball team went 5-3 over their eight-game stretch in Florida over spring break. After losing two games to the College of New Jersey in a doubleheader, the Violets bounced back and won three in a row, defeating Oswego State, Messiah College and Babson College by the scores 7-5, 4-2 and 6-1 respectively. 

Against Oswego State, the Violets erased a 5-0 deficit, scoring six runs in the bottom of the fifth inning. CAS first-year Lauren Kong began the rally with a triple, and after 11 batters hit for the Violets, ended the scoring with a two-run single. College of Nursing junior Scarlett Murphy pitched 3.1 hitless innings to earn the victory.

After losing a close game to Babson College 12-10, the Violets rebounded again, defeating The College of New Jersey 8-3, and Oswego State 7-0. Against the College of New Jersey, the Violets came back from a 3-1 deficit when CAS first-year Serena Ponciano tied the game with a two-run double. In the next inning, CAS junior Mary Tindall hit a two-run home run to put the Violets ahead. Stern first-year Maggie Swan improved to 3-0 after pitching a complete game, striking out six batters and giving up just two earned runs.

The Violets improved to 7-3 on the season and resume action on Tuesday, March 26 when they host Rutgers-Newark in the Bronx. 

Men’s and Women’s Track and Field

The NYU men’s track and field outdoor season opened up in Tampa, FL this past weekend. The Violets competed in the USF Bulls Invitational. SPS junior Julian Montilus helped the Violets by placing sixth in the 400m hurdles, with a personal-best time of 54.25. Additionally, CAS junior Carter Beardsley placed third in the hammer throw with a distance of 48.59m.

The NYU women’s track and field team also competed at the USF Bulls Invitational this past Friday and Saturday. The 4x100m relay team of SPS senior Shannon Morgan, Tisch first-year Danielle Fuller, CAS first-year Anna Langlois and Stern first-year Joanna Li took fifth place with a time of 54.56. 

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams will resume action on Friday, April 5 at the Sam Howell Invitational in Princeton, N.J. 

Men’s and Women’s Fencing

The NYU men’s fencing team competed at the NCAA Fencing Championships this past week in Cleveland, OH. Stern senior Mickey Bak lead the Violets with a 16th-place finish after winning 10 separate events. Additionally, Stern senior Kyle Welch and CAS sophomore Zohaib Mannan finished in 17th place and 23rd place, respectively. 

Competing at the NCAA Championships, Stern sophomore Tiffany Luong represented NYU in Cleveland this past weekend. Luong won two matches and finished in 22nd place. Combined with three men’s fencers, NYU placed 17th overall, tallying 30 total points. 

As the weekend came to an end, so did the NYU men’s and women’s fencing season. 

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 25, 2019, print edition. Email Brendan Duggan at [email protected].