Candidates for CAS First-Year Class President Debate, Talk Fitting in at NYU

One candidate suggested that New York natives teach other first-years about the city in a “How to be a New Yorker” day.
CAS Student Council is holding elections. (via NYU)

CAS first-years running for the position of CAS class president debated on Tuesday and proposed events that could help their fellow students find community at NYU.

The College of Arts and Science is holding elections this month to select a new CAS First-Year Class President, Alternate Senator and Alumni Relations Chair. All three positions have year-long terms. Open to students of all years, for Alternate Senator and Alumni Relations Chair, three and six students are running, respectively. For First-Year Class President, however, 11 students are in the race. On Tuesday, they gathered to debate and explain their stances on issues impacting the Class of 2023.

Candidates were asked to speak on an issue that is affecting the Class of 2023 and how they planned to fix it. Here, responses were split largely between academic or social issues. 

Candidate Rithik Tangella focused on the lack of academic opportunities for CAS first-years.

“I want to create an ‘academy day’ […] where we can pinpoint exactly what major we want, also find different research opportunities and career opportunities,” Tangella said during the debate.

However, most candidates focused on the goal of finding community and common interests within the large university that is NYU. 

Candidate Karen De La Cruz said many students find it difficult to feel at home at NYU, a problem that she feels is not adequately addressed.

“One of our biggest problems right now is that we are not communicating,” De La Cruz said. “We are all pretending like it’s going great, and that’s not the case.” 

Many candidates proposed events to solve such a problem, ranging from sessions with therapy dogs — proposed by Rachel Friedlander — to parties organized by clubs, which Luisa Portugal introduced. 

Other events were focused on the practical aspect of being an NYU student. Alex Jimenez proposed a “Meet Your Major” event, where students from the same major could convene to learn more about their academic life and bond with those who have common interests. 

Christopher Sanchez Leon suggested a “How to be a New Yorker Day,” where students could learn about life in the city from those who grew up in the area. 

A group of about 50 students, primarily members of the CAS Student Council, attended the event. Members of the student council were required to attend.

“I do think this event would’ve been more useful if it wasn’t at a student council meeting,” CAS first-year Hannah Butts said. “So more people outside of Student Council could come hear the candidates.”

As the debate concluded, many of the candidates emphasized their intention to be an approachable and helpful resource for their classmates.  

“My goal is to have direct connections with the students so they feel comfortable enough to go up to me on the street,” Tyrianne Harris said. “Even if I’m in my pajamas and look like a total mess.”

As of the debate, about 11% of the eligible student body had cast their votes in the CAS Student Council fall election. Online voting will remain open until Sept. 27 at 11:59 p.m.

A full list of candidates for each position can be found below.

Alternate Senator: Tianai Song, Joshua Bozann and Adi Singhal.

Alumni Relations Chair: Joanna Zhang, Harriet Chen, Esther Oloruntola, Sarwat Siddiqui, Siboney Malagon-Diamond and Zi Wei.

First-year Class President: Karen De La Cruz, Luisa Portugal, Rithik Tangella, Christopher Sanchez Leon, Ron Hall, Estelle Tang, Rachel Friedlander, Tyrianne Harris, Alex Jimenez, Simi Kang and Angie Galas.

Email Jana Warshawsky at [email protected].