A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: May 3 to 5

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.
The Brooklyn Museum. (via Wikimedia)

The end of the semester — and finals season — is fast approaching. I’m sure many of us could use a little distraction from the stress of studying, so check out one of these cheap or free arts and entertainment events to keep your spirits up.

The Other Art Fair Brooklyn at the Brooklyn Expo Center, May 2 – 5
This biannual art fair geared towards younger buyers — prices start at $150 — showcases work from 130 independent and emerging artists. Even if you’re not in the market for a new painting or two — I know I’m certainly not — the fair is a fun chance to browse the work of up-and-comers in the contemporary art scene.
Time: Various
Location: 72 Noble St., Brooklyn [Greenpoint] Price: Student tickets are $13.50 in advance, $15 at the door

Lincoln Center’s 60th Anniversary Block Party, May 4
Celebrating six decades of the staid New York City cultural institution, Lincoln Center is hosting a day of performances, tours, crafts, food and fun. Featured performers include the Redhawk Dancers, Opera Noire of New York and Faluh Shah.
Time: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Location: Various at Lincoln Center Plaza., Manhattan [Lincoln Center] Price: Free

First Saturday: Celebrate Spring at the Brooklyn Museum, May 4
This month’s installment of the Brooklyn Museum’s monthly night of free programming welcomes spring — and the museum’s newest exhibitions, “Nobody Promised You Tomorrow: Art 50 Years After Stonewall,” “Liz Johnson Artur: Dusha” and “One: Egúngún” — with an evening of music, tours, talks, crafts and more.
Time: 5 p.m.
Location: 200 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn [Prospect Heights] Price: Free

Hammerkatz Presents: Smith Kronfeld Katz Keig 2020 at the Kimmel Center for University Life, room 905, May 4
The sketch comedy group, which counts Aziz Ansari and Donald Glover among its alumni, presents their final show of the year — a campaign rally for four candidates running on the same ticket as co-presidents — this Saturday night.
Time: 9-10 p.m.
Location: 60 Washington Square South, Manhattan [Greenwich Village] Price: Free

“Petty Party: A CAST Cabaret” at the Kimmel Center for University Life, Room 909, May 5
NYU’s own College of Arts and Science Theater presents “Petty Party, or All the Roles I Should’ve Had,” an evening for the club’s members to sing the songs of musical theater characters they wish they’d gotten the chance to play.
Time: 7-9 p.m.

“Winter is Up Next: A Game of Thrones Preshow Trivia + Screening” at Caveat, May 5 (21+)

Hosts Jenny Gorelick and Mark Vigeant and a slew of other comedians answer questions as your favorite GoT characters in this weekly event celebrating all things Westerosi. Also featuring a trivia showdown, a presentation from political scientist Andrea Jones-Rooy on the politics of the show and a live screening of the most recent episode.
Time: Doors at 7:30 p.m., show 8-11 p.m.
Location: 21 A Clinton St., Manhattan [Lower East Side] Price: $12 plus fees in advance, $15 plus fees day-of

Email Alex Cullina at [email protected].