You Like My Hair? Gee Thanks, Just Bought It

Where to book your next hair appointment for less than $30.
The facade of Astor Hair. (Photo by Tomer Keysar)

New hair, new me — but hopefully not with uneven bangs or a bald spot. Leaving home and moving to the city means finding a new favorite hairdresser that knows your style, but one who won’t burn a hole in your pocket. Luckily for NYU students, there are plenty of barbershops and hair salons near campus with great deals. Here are a few.

Astor Place Hairstylists $

2 Astor Place

Astor Place Hairstylists takes you underground to over 40 different hair stylists that cut for less than $20. Located right next to the bookstore, Astor Place has been a favorite for celebrities and local residents alike since the 80s. The underground interior is remarkably spacious. Each barber has their own station, decorated with photos of their specialty cuts and personal items. 

Tandon first-year Austin Barron often ventures into the large underground complex for walk-ins, where he is always seated and given a sharp skin fade in under 15 minutes.

“It was very comfortable making conversation and getting to know your hairdresser while getting a great cut,” Barron said. 

If you’re in need of a clean, quick and affordable cut, Astor Place Hairstylists is both accomplished and accommodating.

Unfade Hair Studio $

47 Clinton St.

Dyeing hair might seem out of an average college student’s price range, but at Unfade Hair Studio in Lower Manhattan, hair colorist apprentice Haeny Yun has a sweet deal. Haeny only charges for the cost of materials for toner or single shade processes without bleach, ranging from $16 to $30. Men’s haircuts are free before tip. 

If you are looking into balayage and foilyage but do not want to cough up hundreds of dollars, Yun hinted that in a few months she will be able to bring clients those styles for $50 plus tip. Make sure to stop by the ATM beforehand, though, because Unfade Hair Studio only takes cash. 

“Most of my clients are students or fresh out of college, and I think that I could save money for students wanting to get their hair done,” Yun said. Yun is currently looking for hair models.

Mian Tian Sing Hair Salon $

170 Canal St. second floor

Another favorite amongst students is Mian Tian Sing Hair Salon on Elizabeth and Canal Street. In this fast-paced shop in Chinatown, one can get everything from a trim, eyebrow shaping to neck massages, all for under $30. Tandon first-year Ly Cao is a regular customer.

“I was really brief about what I wanted, but she gave the exact cut that was even better than what I expected,” Cao said. “The place was very busy with a lot of people when I walked in, but I was in a rush, so they gave me priority.”

Spring is coming soon, and it’s the perfect time for a new hairdo or to fix those bangs you tried cutting on your own at 2 a.m. Check out these amazing yet affordable salons near campus for your own hairstyle upgrade.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, March 4, 2019, print edition. Email Joyce Shin at [email protected].