Yuna Yang F/W 2019

In the artfully decorated Rizzoli Bookstore in the Flatiron District, notes of soft jazz filled the air as Korean designer Yuna Yang prepared to showcase her eponymous label’s Fall/Winter 2019 collection. The line of guests wrapped around 26th Street, buzzing with anticipation.

Model Chen Xi got things rolling in a sleek gold-painted pantsuit against a silky backdrop of chartreuse and olive. Yuna Yang utilized this sophisticated and earthy color mood throughout the collection with greens, wood browns, soft pinks and hints of maroon.

While the collection initially showcased a wide variety of trench coats, ruffled dresses and patterned trousers, it quickly transitioned to include faux fur, signature skirts and many lacy pieces. Because most of the looks were sleek and featured nature-inspired prints, the faux fur pieces felt out of place.

The second to last look, a varsity-lined, pale blue faux furry hoodie paired with a black lace skirt, stood out as especially dissimilar to the rest of the collection. Although simple in its design and execution, the sporty style and clear artificiality of the fur stood in opposition to the grounded and natural looks that were showcased earlier.  

Overall, Yang created looks that drew from the beauty of the natural world, making for a captivating and aesthetically pleasing collection that demonstrated Yang’s versatility as an artist and designer.

Read more of WSN’s New York Fashion Week coverage here. Email Yagmur Akyurek at [email protected].