LA Program ‘Not For You If You Want to be An Actor’

Tisch hosted information sessions on the university’s newest study away site in LA, offering more details on the program.
Alex Domb
Tisch hosted info sessions concerning the LA study away site. (Photo by Alex Domb)

Despite the fanfare over NYU’s decision to open a study away site in Los Angeles, only six students attended Tuesday’s info session on the site at the Tisch School of the Arts.

Senior Director of Student Services at the Office of Global Programs Chris Nicolussi attributed the low turnout at the event to the weather.

“It’s probably because of the warm weather outside. During the fall info session, there were more people who attended the event,” Nicolussi said.

Melissa Aragon, study away advisor for NYU’s Buenos Aires and Madrid sites, will now advise the upcoming LA program in fall 2019. Aragon said the new global program is specialized for people interested in film, television and media careers. According to the pamphlet distributed at the event, courses are developed by faculty in Gallatin, Steinhardt, Stern and Tisch.

“It’s not for you if you want to be an actor,” Aragon said to prospective students. “This program is more for people who want to work behind the scenes.”

The one-semester program is very selective, only accepting 25 students with priority given to juniors and seniors. The target audience is upperclassmen currently thinking about their career trajectory. The goal is that students will use this opportunity to make connections while in LA, and then decide where they want to pursue their career in the future.

Tisch sophomore Marley Fernandes plans on applying in her senior year.

“I studied abroad in London, and this program would give me an opportunity to travel while interning in LA,” Fernandes said.  

There is a minimum 3.0 GPA requirement, but Aragon says she is willing to talk to people who fall below the threshold. The application includes a few short answer responses, a 250 to 500 word prompt that details why students want to study in LA and an attachment for resumes.

Aragon recommends students apply for fall 2019 by the Feb. 15 deadline to ensure they are considered for scholarships. Members of the faculty will interview students between February and March, and the decisions will arrive at the end of March.

Students have to take at least 12 credits to be considered full-time, as well as complete a not-for-credit internship.

According to the website, students would pay an estimated amount between $30,964 and $33,414 for both tuition, fees, and housing for the semester. The estimated personal expenses range between $5,375 and $6,875, which takes into account the travel time from the classroom to the internship, food, and a round-trip ticket. There is also no meal plan available.

On Aug. 28, accepted students will arrive in an apartment complex located in Park La Brea, near the LA County Museum of Art. In addition to housing, there will be parking spaces and access to gym facilities. Classes will be held in an academic center ten minutes away from the complex. There will be a director of the program, a full-time coordinator and a part-time resident assistant if they have additional questions or concerns. Students will depart on Dec. 18.

For those interested in studying at the LA program, there is an info session on Friday from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Tisch School of the Arts in room 1260.

Email Alexandria Johnson at [email protected].