Grungy Gentleman F/W 2019

The Grungy Gentleman Fall/Winter 2019 line artfully combines streetwear with athletic wear. From the red, orange and blue that graced most of the new sweatsuits to the bolder tye dye pieces that incorporated yellow and purple, designer Jace Lipstein undoubtedly delivered on his promise of more color this season.

Sweatsuits were the highlight of the collection. Grungy Gentleman’s signature six stripes lined the body of some and were accompanied by thicker colored stripes, while others catered to the color block trend. The short sleeve sweatshirts were especially versatile, and as Lipstein pointed out, “A guy could throw on a black or heather grey long sleeve underneath, or a jacket on top with the pop of color just in the middle.” The crisp suit jackets also paired surprisingly well with all of the other tops and added a formal twist to an otherwise casual line.

The collection lost its traction when the off-kilter plaid prints made their appearance, which didn’t match with the overall tone of the collection. Whereas the other looks had a modernistic feel, the plaid designs felt cheaper and overdone.

Grungy Gentleman unveiled its new hats collection collaboration with New Era, a hat brand known for previously being the official cap for both the NFL and NBA, for LIDS. Each pair of sneakers, which were a collaboration with PONY, featured Grungy Gentleman’s classic six stripes down the sides.

Overall, the line had a contemporary yet laid-back vibe. When asked about the line, Lipstein said, “I like to have fun, but just enough. I’m not trying to make guys look like ‘woah,’ just tryna be fresh.” He certainly succeeded.

Read more of WSN’s New York Fashion Week coverage here. Email Will Stabach at [email protected].

• R

RjlFeb 7, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Enjoyed reading the Grungy Gentleman review by Will Stabach.

It felt as if I was there and seeing what he was seeing.
    Well done

• R

Riley loprinzeFeb 7, 2019 at 2:11 pm

Well written, love your descriptive style