Soccer Completes Regular Season on High Note

The Weekly Sports update details highlights in men’s and women’s soccer.
Sam Klein
Oliver Kleban forces his way around the opposing goalkeeper before scoring in the final minute of a 2018 game against Brandeis University. (Photo by Sam Klein)

Women’s Soccer
With a place in the NCAA tournament on the line, the women’s soccer team defeated Brandeis University in dramatic fashion on Saturday. On a day where NYU’s seniors were honored before the game, the Violets entered halftime tied at zero. After Brandeis scored in the 60th minute, the Violets looked to answer late in the second half with Tisch sophomore Nalani Ogawa scoring a free kick to tie the game at 1-1 in the 80th minute. Seconds before the 90th minute, CAS junior Ashlyn Krygowski scored her fifth goal of the season to give the Violets a 2-1, come-from-behind win. Stern sophomore Meghan Marhan finished with four saves in net, as NYU completed its season standing at 5-1-1 within the UAA conference.

The Violets completed their regular season at 10-5-3 and will find out Monday whether or not they clinched a spot in the NCAA tournament.

Men’s Soccer
Playing in the final game of its regular season, NYU men’s soccer faced off against Brandeis University at Gaelic Park this past Saturday. Also honoring their six seniors, the Violets looked to end their season on a high note. After a 0-0 tie led to overtime, Stern first-year Oliver Kleban netted his eighth goal of the year in double overtime to secure the win for NYU. CAS senior Grant Engel finished with eight saves, stopping every shot he faced and earning a shutout in net.

The team will find out if its season continues this Monday when NCAA tournament bids are assigned.

Women’s Volleyball
The women’s volleyball team traveled to Rochester to compete in three UAA games this past weekend. First, the Violets faced off against Washington University in St. Louis. Despite seven kills from CAS senior Nazzerine Waldon, 13 assists by SPS senior Katie Goyette and three blocks by Tisch first-year Abby Ausmus, the Violets fell 3-0 to Wash U (19-25, 21-25, 18-25).

Next up, the Violets looked to bounce back against the University of Rochester in the second game of their double-header. Led by CAS junior Caroline Rapp’s 13 kills, the Violets captured their 18 win of the season, outlasting Rochester 3-2 (25-16, 25-20, 24-26, 24-26, 15-11). Tandon first-year Stella Alverson dished out 25 assists and finished with three aces, while CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli ended with 22 digs. Tisch first-year Abby Ausmus controlled the net, tallying 12 kills and seven blocks.

In its final game of the season, the women’s volleyball team played Brandeis University, looking to end the season with a win. After leading the first two sets, Brandeis stole the momentum and won the next three sets to secure victory (25-17, 25-18, 22-25, 21-25, 8-15). CAS senior Nazzerine Waldon finished with 13 kills, CAS first-year Lauren Robinson tallied three aces and SPS senior Katie Goyette connected for 22 assists. Tisch first-year Abby Ausmus and CAS first-year Gretchen Kincade each added nine blocks, and CAS junior Jacqueline Kupeli racked up 23 digs.

The Violets end their regular season at 18-16, and 2-5 within the UAA. The team will now wait to see if it qualified for the Eastern College Athletic Conference tournament.

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country

The NYU men’s cross country team competed in the ECAC Championship this past weekend, hosted in Milton, New York. Out of the 11 teams participating, NYU came in second place with a score of 93 points. The Violets were led by Steinhardt sophomore Pat Xu, who finished in 10th out of 81 runners with a time of 31:20:3. Stern first-year Brandon Mayo finished next, placing 19th with a time of 31:54:3. The next three finishers for the Violets were CAS sophomore Oliver Jacob, Tandon first-year Toni Macabantad and Stern first-year Chris Shirazi, who finished 22nd (32:19.8), 23rd (32:22.5) and 24th (32:25.7), respectively.

The men’s cross country team returns to action next Saturday when it travels to Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey to compete in the NCAA Atlantic Regional Championship.

The NYU women’s cross country team also competed in the ECAC championship this past Saturday in Milton. Out of the eight teams, the Violets came in third place and totaled 92 points. Leading the Violets through the 6k course was CAS first-year Anna Cusiurean-Zapan, who finished in 16th place out of 61 runners with a time of 29:09.7. The next three finishers for NYU were CAS first-year Gabrielle Stankosh, Stern first-year Ashley Storino and CAS sophomore Noela Franco who placed 19th (29:21.5), 25th (29:56.0) and 29th (30:13.4), respectively.

The women’s cross country team will be joining the men as they travel to Rowan University to participate in the NCAA Atlantic Regional Championship in Glassboro.

Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving
The NYU men’s swim team defeated Stevens Institute of Technology 532-344 as part of the NYU Fall Invitational this past weekend. Leading the way for the Violets was Stern first-year Jacob Haines (400-yard individual medley), CAS first-year Graham Chatoor (200-yard freestyle), Tandon sophomore Josh Rine (200-yard backstroke) and Stern first-year Alec Reimon (100-yard freestyle), who all placed first in their respective events.

The Violets will race again on Saturday, Nov. 17 as they travel to Baltimore to face off against Johns Hopkins University.

The women’s swim team also dominated against Stevens Institute of Technology, defeating the Ducks by a score of 542-331. The Violets were led by Stern junior Honore Collins, who won the 400-yard individual medley and the 200-yard butterfly, Stern first-year Terra Matsushima, who won the 100-yard butterfly and the 100-yard freestyle and CAS sophomore Sydney Catron who won the 200-yard freestyle and the 200-yard backstroke.

The swim team returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 17 when it will travel to Baltimore to compete against Johns Hopkins University.

NYU Wrestling
The NYU wrestling team opened its 2018-2019 season by placing sixth out of 19 teams this past Saturday. Traveling to King’s College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania , the Violets were led by Stern senior Will Crisco and CAS junior Jackson Kilgerman, who each finished second place in their weight classes. Also helping the Violets was Tandon sophomore James Murdoch, who finished third, and Stern junior Sean Lyons who finished fourth place in his weight class.

NYU wrestling resumes action next Saturday when the team travels to Providence, Rhode Island to compete in the Roger Williams Invitational.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 5 print edition. Email Brendan Duggan at [email protected].

Brendan Duggan, Sports Editor
Brendan Duggan is a senior in CAS studying English and is captain of the NYU Men's Volleyball team. Growing up in Boston, the most successful sports city in the world, he has a passion for sports and Dunkin' Donuts. In his free time, Brendan enjoys hiking, traveling, and spending time with his family and chocolate lab. Follow him on Twitter @OfficialBDuggs.
Sam Klein, Managing Editor
Sam Klein is a junior majoring in journalism and environmental science. He is interested in sustainable, large-scale farming and fishing as well as global economic development in the agricultural sector; he also supports eating insects. Outside of WSN he runs on NYU's cross-country and track teams. During his free time he enjoys photography, traveling, coffee and being outdoors. You can check out his work at samklein.myportfolio.com or on instagram @samkleinphotography.