A Starving Artist’s Guide to Arts Events This Weekend: Oct. 5 to Oct. 8

Stay entertained this weekend for $20 or less.

PLACEHOLDERLORUMIPSUM

Ali Zimmerman, Deputy Arts Editor

It’s finally almost the weekend, and not just any weekend, but a long one. Whether you call it Fall Break, Columbus Day or Indigenous People’s Day, the city has a slew of affordable arts events on tap to fill that extra free time.  

ALMA at Elsewhere ($18.30)

Pop singer ALMA got her start in 2013 when she placed fifth on the Finnish version of ‘Idol.’ Since releasing her debut single in 2016, she has gone on to collaborate with artists like Charli XCX and Tove Lo. She’s playing at Elsewhere in Brooklyn this Friday night at 7 p.m., so head over to enjoy a night of pulsating electronic pop music.

A Midsummer’s Night Dream at Marcus Garvey Park (Free)

I’m not going to pretend I’m a Shakespeare buff, but The Public Theater brings a creativity and flair to the classics that makes sitting through two hours of Elizabethan English sound fun even to me. This Friday, the Public Theater Mobile Unit is coming to the Pelham Fritz Recreation Center in Marcus Garvey Park for a performance of “A Midsummer’s Night Dream.” The show begins at 6:30 p.m., and you can register online to ensure a seat.

Kaizen Comedy Show at RESOBOX (Free)

Comedy comes in many forms in the Village, but for a truly one-of-a-kind stand up experience, head to RESOBOX, the Japanese Cultural Center on East 3rd Street. This Sunday, a group of local comics will be performing in the sushi workshop. The event starts at 6 p.m. and admission is free if you like the Kaizen Comedy Show Facebook page.

Bushwick Troutman Art Fest (Free)

Local artists of all kinds are getting their spotlight at an art festival in Brooklyn this Sunday. The Bushwick Troutman Art Fest will feature work from community performers and offer body painting, live art and a small parade showcasing costumes and puppets. The fair will be held on Troutman Street between St. Nicholas and Wyckoff Avenues and will run from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Sunday Night Fever at House of Yes! (Free, 21+)

There’s no school Monday, which means an extra night for your weekend antics, so why not keep the party going at the House of Yes! in Brooklyn? This Sunday, the club is hosting Sunday Night Fever, a night of old-school funk, disco and soul. Doors open at 10 p.m. and music ends at 4 a.m., so boogie all night and enjoy some much needed Netflix-in-bed recovery the next day.

[td_smart_list_end]

Email Ali Zimmerman at [email protected].