Weekly Sports Update: Men’s Soccer 7 Game Winning Streak Snapped

A weekly update on NYU sports happenings between Sept. 23 and Sept. 29.

Sam Klein

Junior Isabella Steains runs at the Ramapo Invitational in August.

Brendan Duggan, Deputy Sports Editor

Men’s Soccer

After their Tuesday game was canceled due to weather, the NYU men’s soccer team looked to win their eighth straight game on Sept. 29. Going up against University Athletic Association opponent Carnegie Mellon, the Violets battled to keep the game scoreless at the half. CAS senior and goalkeeper Grant Engel finished with five saves, but a goal by Carnegie Mellon in the 58th minute was the difference maker as the Violets fell 1-0.

The 7-2 Violets take on Case Western next Saturday, Oct. 6 in Cleveland, OH.

Women’s Soccer

Coming off a decisive 4-0 victory against Centenary University, the NYU women’s soccer team faced off against Carnegie Mellon minutes after the men’s game on Sept. 29.

Against Centenary University, Stern junior Isabelle Turner finished with two goals, CAS senior Maddie Peña had two assists, while LS sophomore Julia Raith and CAS junior Jade Keane each added a goal to solidify the 4-0 win.

Looking to make it two in a row, the Violets faced Carnegie Mellon at Gaelic Park at 1:30 p.m. After a scoreless first half, CAS junior Ashlyn Krygowski scored the only goal of the game in the 54th minute, earning the Violets a vital conference win. Sophomore Meghan Marhan secured her second straight shutout in net.

The Violets are aiming for their third straight win as they will take on Rutgers-Newark on Tuesday, Oct. 2 at Gaelic Park in the Bronx.

Women’s Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team went 1-2 over the course of its three-game weekend at Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. The Violets played against three UAA opponents, Carnegie Mellon, Emory and Rochester, as part of their first three in-conference games of the season.

In a 3-1 loss to Carnegie Mellon (28-30, 11-25, 29-27, 13-25), CAS first-year Gretchen Kincade led the team with 12 kills and five blocks, SPS senior Katie Goyette dished out 21 assists, and CAS senior Nazzerine Waldon ended with a team-high 17 digs.

Although they were swept by Emory University (23-25, 19-25, 20-25), Tisch first-year and middle blocker Abby Ausmus led the team with 10 kills and three blocks, Tandon first-year setter Stella Alverson connected for 17 assists and CAS first-year Lauren Robinson finished with eight digs.

With a 3-1 victory over the University of Rochester (21-25, 25-15, 25-20, 25-19), the Violets captured their first conference win and now stand at 1-2 within the UAA. Abby Ausmus led the Violets in kills with 13, Stella Alverson finished with 20 assists, and Jessie Tsang earned a team-high 18 digs.

The Violets resume play on Tuesday, October 2nd as they take on Farmingdale State College in Farmingdale, New York.

Men’s Cross Country

The NYU men’s cross country team participated in the Paul Short Invitational, hosted by Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, on Sept. 29. The Violets came in 15th place out of 44 teams and tallied 447 total points.

GLS junior Ben Karam led the Violets by placing 46th with a time of 26:00, while teammate CAS sophomore Jonathan Sussman placed 53rd with a time of 26:05.

The men’s cross country team returns to action on Friday, Oct. 12 as it competes in the Metropolitan Championship in the Bronx.

Women’s Cross Country

The NYU women’s cross country team also traveled to Lehigh University to take part in the Paul Short Invitational on Saturday. First-year Valentina House led the way for the Violets, placing in 123rd out of 331 runners with a time of 23:43. Fellow first-year Athina Zodl had the second best finish for NYU, coming in 246th place with a time of 24:52.

The women’s cross country team will also resume action on Friday, Oct. 12 as they compete in the Metropolitan Championship in the Bronx.

Women’s Golf

The NYU women’s golf team came in first place at the Williams College Invitational in Williamstown, Massachusetts. The women’s golf squad beat host team Williams College by three strokes, erasing a four-stroke deficit they faced at the beginning of the final day.

The Violets return to action on Saturday, Oct. 6 and will travel to Lexington, Virginia to participate in the Washington and Lee Invitational.

Men’s Tennis

The NYU men’s tennis traveled to Mercer County Park in Pennington, NJ last weekend as part of the College of New Jersey Invitational. The Violets finished the two-day tournament with an 18-10 overall record. Stern junior Vishal Walia and CAS junior Joshua Piatos each went 2-0 on the second day.

The men’s tennis squad traveled to Hobart College in Geneva, New York to participate in the ITA Northeast Regional Championships. Walia had an incredible two days before coming up short in the semifinal match, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.

With the fall season over, the men’s tennis team will return to action on Saturday, Feb. 23 as they take on Coast Guard Academy.

Email Brendan Duggan at [email protected]