Tips and Tricks to Staying Fit

Angelica Kurtz

A student works out at 404 Fitness on campus. (Photo by Angelica Kurtz)

Sophie Brach, Contributing Writer

Between attending classes and maintaining a social life, finding the motivation to work out on a regular basis and eat healthily is not easy. At the end of the day, it is more convenient to go home after class, grab some ramen and cozy up in bed with Netflix. But it doesn’t have to be that way — it’s actually not impossible to pay attention to your health during your college years.

WSN talked to some NYU students about a few helpful tips and tricks for staying in good shape. These students made it clear that an essential part of taking care of the human body is — who would have guessed — exercise. Whether it be working out at NYU gyms, joining a sports club or going for a run, there are many ways to get those muscles moving. The only challenge is actually taking action.

CAS junior Matt Lantin said he pushes himself to work out by going to the gym with friends and thus, combines his social life with physical activity.

“I think for someone who hasn’t started working out and they feel like they do need the motivation, working out [with friends] is actually good,” Lantin said.

Additionally, Lantin likes working out before or in between classes because of the proximity of the NYU gyms to campus.

“What’s great about NYU is you can work out whenever you want,” Lantin said

Even if you don’t feel like leaving the house, there are options for working out at home. Hundreds of apps, such as the 7 Minute Workout Challenge App offer quick and easy ideas methods of exercising.

Still, it’s important to remember that exercise isn’t the only component of maintaining a solid health routine. One’s diet changes a lot as a college student. Cooking can be fairly time-consuming and almost impossible when you don’t have a kitchen, but junk food, though convenient, isn’t the best choice when it comes to nutritional value. Steinhardt first-year Louisa Martin solves this problem by navigating NYU’s dining halls to find the ones with the healthiest options.

“I found that Kimmel serves healthy food, as well as Lipton, and they’re also very central,” Martin said. “They offer soups, bowls, falafel, Greek food and salads.”

Although the dining halls do offer healthy options, it is not always easy to resist the temptation of guilty pleasure foods. CAS sophomore Franziska Winterling loves pasta dishes but tries to indulge in healthier pasta options.

“I usually go for whole wheat pasta,” Winterling said. “It contains three times the fiber and keeps you full.”

While some students may have an elaborate gym schedule and an exemplary diet, they forget about an important element of living a healthy life: sleep. Many students tend to pull all-nighters when studying for exams or partying. Martin’s advice on this issue is simple.

“You have to put your health first and realize that the best option is to sleep sometimes,” Martin said. “When it comes to the weekends, you can go out, but prioritize yourself.”

If you suffer from an unbalanced sleep rhythm, Lantin suggests giving your all at the gym.

“A sleeping schedule is important,” Lantin said. “Working out does help reset your body clock.”

The best way to incorporate all of this into your life is by setting a schedule and sticking to it. This way, you will keep yourself accountable and hopefully reach your goals.

Email Sophie Brach at [email protected].