Weekly Sports Update: Feb. 23 to Feb. 25

Sam Klein

The wrestling team is coming off a strong season, and will look to continue its tradition of success this year.

Maddie Howard, Sports Editor

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team completed its regular season with a win against Brandeis University Judges on Saturday, Feb. 24. The Violets were trailing the Judges 52-53 when senior Kayla Patterson finished a basket with 1.3 seconds left in the game, bringing the team to a 54-53 finish.

This game also marked the 100th win for Head Coach Lauren Hall-Gregory. The Violets will return to the court for the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference regional championships, though the schedule of the tournament is undetermined.

Men’s Basketball

Men’s basketball suffered a loss to Brandeis in the team’s final game of the season on Saturday, Feb. 24.

The Judges led a majority of the game, with the final score being 59-97. The Violets’ overall season record now finishes as 10-14.

Women’s Track & Field

Women’s track and field placed sixth at the University Athletic Association Indoor Track and Field Championships this weekend.

The highlights of the weekend included Tandon  junior Justina Sanders-Schifano earning first place in the 400m sprint, which also set an NYU record. Also CAS sophomore Evelyn Nkanga earned first place for the second year in a row for the triple jump. Her final distance was 11.76m.

The Violets will return on Friday, March 2 to compete in the All-Atlantic Conference Meet in Ithaca, NY.

Men’s Track & Field

Men’s track and field placed fourth at the University Athletic Association Indoor Track and Field Championships this weekend.

The highlights included CAS senior distance runner Neil Saddler earning first place in the 3,000m event and SPS senior Malcolm Montilus beating the number one ranked Division III runner in the country for the 400m sprint.

Women’s Swimming & Diving

Women’s swimming and diving hosted the NYU Last Chance invitational on Saturday, Feb. 24. The event was an opportunity for swimmers to make the qualifying times for the upcoming national championships.

Four women’s team members posted times for the event. The Violets will compete again at Middlebury College on Friday, March 2.

Men’s Swimming & Diving

Men’s swimming and diving hosted the NYU Last Chance invitational on Saturday, Feb. 24 as well.

Six men competed at the meet and posted top times. The Violets will compete again at Middlebury College on Friday, March 2.

Wrestling

The Violets competed in the 2018 Division III Northeast Regional Championship this weekend hosted by Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Worcester, MA.

The team took fourth place as a group, and also qualified four individual wrestlers for the National Collegiate Athletic Association championship tournament in March.

The NCAA championship will take place on Friday, March 9 at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Feb. 26 print edition. Email Maddie Howard at [email protected].