Four NYU Musicians to Watch

Clockwise+from+top+left%0APedro+Ca%C3%B1as%2C+Master+Swami%2C+Jesediah+and+Julian+LaMadrid+are+all+new+artists+for+NYU%E2%80%99s+latest+artists.+

Julia Saliba

Clockwise from top left Pedro Cañas, Master Swami, Jesediah and Julian LaMadrid are all new artists for NYU’s latest artists.

Connor Gatesman, Music Editor

Even though winter break has just come to a close, here at WSN we’ve been toiling away, compiling a fresh list of even fresher tracks made by NYU’s very own. This university hosts a wide variety of up-and-coming musicians on the cusp of breaking through. Use this list as a roadmap of sorts for navigating the musical maze of both the school and the city.

With winter raging on, you need to stay warm. This is where Jesediah’s “Stove On” comes in handy. The track is smooth and bouncy, filled with crisp synths and punchy percussion. A junior in the Clive Davis Institute of Recorded Music, Jesediah (also known as Jesse Sgambati) has been on a roll recently, accumulating both listeners and clout. His raps come off effortlessly and it’s clear he’s got something to prove. When chilly weather hits hard, listen to Jesediah’s instructions and keep that “Stove On.” His other tracks like “G.O.A.T.” and “Lonzo” are also definitely worth checking out. Be sure to keep an eye out for his live performances around the city. The rapper brings an infectious intensity to the stage that can’t be missed.

Electronic music maestro and sophomore studying Music Business at Steinhardt, Pedro Cañas is back at it with a brand new track, “Upscale Horror.” Cañas has been releasing music left and right as of late. This track serves as not only a follow up to his recently released “16-bit//POW-r2” EP, but a precursor “Just You,” to his upcoming project and biggest release to date, which drops on Feb. 15. “Upscale Horror” is an undeniably brutal tech house tune, but in the best way possible. It’s a driving machine composed of metallic synthesizers and clanky percussion. Cañas’ sample choice also serves to bolster the tune’s dark and brooding nature. This track might not be for the kids, but it’s most certainly fit for the dance floor.

Also cooking up some heat is Master Swami (also known as Marcus Harley), a junior in the Silver School of Social Work. Coming through with consistent releases, his persistence and presence has quickly become hard to miss. Swami’s latest offering is titled “MÅD” and is proof that the man refuses to be stopped. The sample-heavy beat is vibrant. His lyrics bounce confidently off the kicks and are full of variety both in their pacing and content. With tracks like these, Swami is without a doubt an artist to watch. As Master Swami continues to put out music, his progression is both evident and hard to ignore.

For the more pop oriented, Julian LaMadrid, a sophomore in Tisch Performance Studies, won’t disappoint. Another artist in relentless pursuit of success, LaMadrid is a 19-year-old singer from Dubai who already has a catalogue of Billboard worthy bops. His most recent offering is the single “Warm.” The tune is filled with a dreamy keyboard melody woven with a hyponic beat. LaMadrid is clearly a talented crooner and sings with impressive ease, including a catchy hook and fitting verses to boot. Also worth checking out is “Understand,” a tropical tune that’ll transport the listener to an ocean-tinged soundscape that’s not only memorable but well-executed.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Jan. 22 print edition. Email Connor Gatesman at [email protected].