Weekly Sports Update: Nov. 6 to Nov. 12

Via gonyuathletics.com

Two wrestlers qualified for Nationals.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

Women’s Soccer

The women’s soccer team got off to a solid start at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Division III Championship on Saturday, Nov. 11 in Madison, New Jersey. The Violets won their opening game, defeating William Paterson University 2-0. CAS sophomore Alex Benedict, the team’s leading scorer, produced both goals without assists, bringing the team to its victory.

On Sunday, Nov. 12 the Violets played Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Florham campus team, again in Madison, New Jersey. The team earned a 4-0 victory, scoring two goals in the first half, adding two more in the second.

Men’s Soccer

On Saturday, Nov. 11 and Sunday, Nov. 12 the men’s soccer team competed in the Eastern College Athletic Conference Division III Championship, hosted by William Paterson University in Wayne, New Jersey. In its first match on Saturday, the Violets managed to secure a win in double overtime against Centenary University, with a score of 2-1.

The next day, Sunday, Nov. 12, the team played a quarterfinal game against William Paterson University and came out with a 2-2 tie. The Violets stayed strong throughout two regulation overtime sessions, but unfortunately neither team could pull ahead in overtime penalty kicks.

The team is now moving forward to the ECAC Division III Championship semifinal, where it will face Rutgers University-Camden on Saturday, Nov. 18.

Cross Country

The NYU men’s and women’s cross country teams traveled to Houghton, New York, on Saturday, Nov. 11, to compete in the National Collegiate Athletic Association Atlantic Regional Championship. The men’s team took fifth place out of 41 teams, and the women took ninth out of 41 teams.

Individually, CAS senior Neil Saddler finished the 8K course in fifth place, with a time of 24:47:6.

Both the men’s and women’s teams are vying for a bid to qualify for the NCAA National Championship. Saddler also has the ability to qualify for an individual bid for the championship.

Fencing

The fencing team opened its season on Sunday, Oct. 29 at the Temple Collegiate Open in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Violets secured two first-place finishes by the end of the day, marking their first event a success. Stern junior Kyle Welch took first place in foil, while CAS junior Grant Williams finished in first place in sabre. You cans see the Violets in action on Monday, Nov. 13 at the NYU Top of the Park Clash, hosted at the Kimmel Center for University Life.

Wrestling

The NYU wrestling team dominated all three of its matches at the New York vs. Pennsylvania Duals, hosted by Wilkes University on Saturday, Nov. 11, in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The Violets were a powerhouse, outscoring their competition 129-18 in the afternoon. Seven different wrestlers went 3-0 in the dual meet for NYU, bringing the Violets to an easy victory.

Wrestling competes next on Sunday, Nov. 19, at the New York State Championships, which is hosted each season by Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Nov. 13 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected]