Weekly Sports Update: Oct. 9 to Oct. 14

Via gonyuathletics.com

The NYU women’s volleyball team played in a round robin tournament at the University of Chicago.

Tyler Crews, Deputy Sports Editor

Swimming and Diving
On Saturday, Oct. 14 both men and women’s swimming and diving opened up their seasons with wins over Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey.

For the men’s team, the Violets won 10 out of 16 events.

Stern senior and team captain Tim Kou led the team in victories, winning the 100-yard breaststroke, the 200-yard backstroke and the 200-yard medley relay with his teammates.

For the women’s team, the Violets took victories in 11 of 16 events.

Individually, LS sophomore and last year’s individual national champion Honore Collins won the 100-yard breaststroke and also helped her teammates win the 200-yard medley relay.

In diving, SPS junior Connor Brisson had top scores in both the one-meter and three-meter dives. CAS freshman Ashlyn King and CAS sophomore Carmen White won in the three-meter and the one-meter dives respectively.

Come see both teams swim at their home invitational on Friday, Nov. 3 and Saturday, Nov. 4.

Men’s Soccer

On Monday, Oct. 9 the men defeated Baruch College at Gaelic Park, winning by one goal with a score of 3-2.

The Violets were unable to maintain this momentum, however, and fell to Emory University 0-5 on Friday, Oct. 13 in Atlanta, Georgia.

The Violets will try for redemption on Sunday, Oct. 15, when they play University of Rochester in Rochester, New York.

Women’s Soccer
On Friday, Oct. 13 the NYU women’s soccer team traveled to Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, ending the game with a 1-1 tie.

CAS sophomore Alex Benedict scored NYU’s only goal. The game stayed tied after double overtime.

The Violets play again on Sunday, Oct. 15 against the University of Rochester in Rochester, New York.

Women’s Volleyball

On Saturday, Oct. 14 the women’s volleyball team played the University of Rochester and the University of Chicago as part of the second University Athletic Association Round Robin at the University of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois.

The team fell in three sets to the University of Rochester, with a score of 25-16, 25-19, 25-21, and then lost another three sets against the host team, with a score of 25-7, 25-9, 25-16. This brings the Violets’ record to 4-18.

On Sunday, Oct. 15 the Violets will play two more matches in the UAA Round Robin, playing against Emory University and Brandeis University.

Cross Country
On Friday, Oct. 13 both the men and women’s cross country teams competed in the Metropolitan Championship at Van Cortlandt Park in Riverdale, New York. The Violets were the only DIII team in the race.

The men’s team came in eighth place out of 11 teams.

Tisch sophomore Benjamin Heintz was the top runner for NYU, coming in 39th out of the 111 runners that competed.

The women’s team came in eighth out of 14 teams.

CAS senior Hannah Haley was the first to cross the line for NYU, finishing in 32nd place out of 129 runners.

The Violets will run again when they host the UAA Cross Country Championship on Saturday, Oct. 28 in Woodland Park, New York.

Women’s Tennis
Three members of the NYU women’s tennis team played in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Oracle Cup Championship from Thursday, Oct. 12 to Saturday, Oct. 14, in Rome, Georgia. Stern freshman Anna Maria Buraya competed in singles, while the team of Stern junior Flyora Shiyanova and CAS sophomore Coco Kulle competed in doubles.

On the first day, Buraya’s body got the best of her and she was forced to retire in the third set. Shiyanova and Kulle were shutout in their first match 0-6, 0-6. Buraya was able to bounce back and compete in her second match of the weekend, but was defeated 5-7, 5-7. In doubles, Shiyanova and Kulle lost with a score of 6-4, 4-6, 5-10.

On Saturday, the Violets lost both their singles and doubles matches, concluding their play at the ITA Championship.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Oct. 16 print edition. Email Tyler Crews at [email protected].