Do’s and Don’ts of Discovering the New York Food Scene

Do+go+out+of+the+NYU+bubble+and+try+some+of+the+most+delicious+and+authentic+food+in+the+city%2C+for+example+the+beef+noodles+from+Nasty+Hand+Pulled+Noodles+on+Ninth+Avenue.+

Tony Wu

Do go out of the NYU bubble and try some of the most delicious and authentic food in the city, for example the beef noodles from Nasty Hand Pulled Noodles on Ninth Avenue.

Preet Bhaidaswala, Contributing Writer

Do…

…try it even if you can’t pronounce it

Although this is cliche, New York City is truly a melting pot. With over three million foreign-born immigrants living in the five boroughs, it is no wonder the city boasts some of the greatest and most creative restaurants in the country. Take advantage of that culinary diversity, and try something even if you’re not quite sure what it is.

Try Awash’s Lamb Yebeg Alicha with Injera

…experience the classics at least once

Some restaurants are, without a doubt, sanctified in the New York City culinary canon. Spots like Dominique Ansel Bakery, Halal Guys, Magnolia’s Bakery and Katz Deli are acclaimed, not only locally but also internationally. Embrace NYU’s incredible location and pay these iconic food places a visit.

Try Randazzo’s Clam Bar’s Manhattan Clam Chowder

…take advantage of NYC Restaurant Week, NYU discounts and other deals

Dining out in New York City should not be inaccessible. Dozens of restaurants in the area surrounding Washington Square Park offer 10 to 15 percent off discounts with valid NYU ID. For fine dining on a college budget, check out New York City’s Restaurant Week: a city-wide campaign that makes dining at some of NYC’s most exclusive restaurants, such as Scarpetta, affordable.

Try Osteria Morini’s $12 pasta after 9 p.m. on Mondays

… visit the neighborhoods of different cultures

If you want to experience actual, authentic food, there is no better place to visit than the cultural neighborhoods that make your desired food. Although some may look a little sketchy from the outside, we can confirm that if the health rating is “B” or above, the food will be good. Before you go in a restaurant that does not look so trustworthy, check out the customers. If locals and people of the respective culture are there enjoying food, do not be afraid to give it a try. Chinatown is a classic, but you should also visit Little Senegal in Harlem, Little Ireland in the Bronx, Little Sri Lanka in Tompkinsville, Staten Island and Little Tibet in Queens.

Try: New Asha Sri Lankan Restaurant. Ask Asha for an assortment of food with curries and vegetables.

Don’t…

…order the same thing (or go to the same place) every time

It’s okay to have a usual order at your favorite spot. In fact, it is a New Yorker’s rite of passage to become a regular at the corner bodega or the coffee shop across the street. But if every week you order the same dish at the same restaurant, you could be missing out on worlds of hidden flavor. You can try a new restaurant every day and still end up with a long list of places you have not tried yet. You may know what you like, but you cannot dislike something you have never tried. You may really surprise yourself.

Try: Taste of Persia’s Ash Reshteh

…restrict yourself to the NYU area

Though it may comes as a shock to some, there are, in fact, other parts of New York City outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Queens, the Bronx and Staten Island boast some of the most colorful cuisines in the city, and they are only a short trainor bus ride away.

Try: White Bear’s Wontons in Hot Oil

…expect ethnic cuisines to accommodate your preferences

The tried and trusted test of authenticity holds true: if not a single patron in a cultural restaurant is of the respective culture, you may be in the wrong place.

Try: Vatan’s Gujarati Thali

… assume the best Italian food is in Little Italy

Although Little Italy used to extend up to East Bowery to West Lafayette, it currently is three blocks on Mulberry Street. Even if it is packed with culture and history, Little Italy has become more of a tourist trap rather an actual cultural neighborhood. With competing Italian restaurants that line up on both sides of the street, it is easy to get lost and end up eating a mediocre meal for a lot of money. That being said, Italian food in New York is easy to find in all boroughs from Oregano in Williamsburg to Trattoria Tra Di Noi in the Bronx. You can find great Italian food for much cheaper than what Little Italy offers.

Try:  Cotenna’s, Gnocchi Sorrentina

Email Preet Bhaidaswala at [email protected].