Weekly Sports Update: April 17-23

Via gonyuathletic.com

Carolina Saccacio batting for the NYU Women’s Softball Team against Washington University in St. Louis on Friday. NYU dropped both ends of the doubleheader.

Nika Woodfill, Deputy Sports Editor

Softball (18-18)

The softball team completed its regular season play this week, splitting a doubleheader with Washington University in St. Louis Saturday. The Violets fell 1-4 in the morning but recovered with a 2-1 win in the evening. This was sure relief from the pair of losses the Violets were dealt by WashU Friday.

The Violets fell behind early on Saturday, and WashU did not falter, securing a comfortable victory over NYU.

Luckily, the team turned it around for their last match, thanks to freshman catcher Caroline Saccacio, who scored a double to put the Violets in the lead. The Violets maintained this advantage for the rest of the night.

This is hardly the end for the softball team this year, as they prepare for a potential bid to the Eastern Conference Athletic Conference postseason.

Baseball (17-12)

The baseball team had a series of postponed games this week, but they did manage to secure a 16-4 win over the City College of New York on Wednesday.

The heavy scoring started early for the Violets with the help of junior shortstop Jonathan Iaione, who scored three runs over the course of the game.

The team will play four more schools in six more games this season, and will attempt to qualify for postseason play. The first of these face-offs will be against the College of Mount Saint Vincent on Tuesday.

Men’s Golf 

The men’s golf team closed out its season yesterday, placing third at the Liberty League Championship with an overall score of 1,255.

The team’s strong results were bolstered by freshman Kelly Sun’s seventh place finish and senior captain Eric Tarakjian’s 15th place finish.

The championship marks the end of the golf team’s successful season, with two overall wins and another nine top five finishes.

Track and Field

A select group of runners from the women and men’s track and field teams competed at the Penn Relays on Friday.

Most notable among the runners present was freshman Evelyn Nkanga, who placed 13th in the women’s triple jump with a personal best distance of 11.59m.

Additionally, the Violets had success in the distance medley relay, finishing in 20th place and beating out several Division I teams. The team, consisting of freshman Benjamin Heintz, seniors Caleb Su and Nick Karam and junior Neil Saddler, finished at a record-best 10:13.15.

The teams will compete again at the Tom Farrell Classic next Saturday, May 6.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, May 1 print edition. Email Nika Woodfill at [email protected].