Fashion Shows to Binge Watch During Summer Break

Collage by Julia Saliba

Binge on some fashion-focused shows on Netflix, including “America’s Next Top Model,” “The Hills” and “Skin Wars,” among others.

Christopher Collado, Staff Writer

As the semester comes to an end, students are happily thinking of the free time they will have during summer vacation. Here is a list of some fashion shows you can watch during summer break.

“America’s Next Top Model”

“America’s Next Top Model” is a great reality competition show where one can learn about the fashion and modeling industries. In every season, around 14 aspiring models compete week to week to become America’s Next Top Model. Throughout the photoshoots and runway challenges, the contestants have to model clothing or makeup from designers and cosmetic companies such as Covergirl, DSquared, Guess and Nine West. The show can enlighten viewers on current styles and modeling tips.

“ANTM” is available on Amazon Prime Video or Hulu.

“RuPaul’s Drag Race”

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” is great for anyone interested in fashion, drag queens or both. In this reality competition show, 12 to 14 queens do challenges each week to win the title of America’s Next Drag Superstar. Before weekly eliminations, the queens walk down the runway in a categorized look chosen by RuPaul. Some of these runway themes include banjee girl bling, jet set eleganza, lace and leather and white party. There are also challenges in which drag queens create runway outfits out of unconventional materials: Hello Kitty couture, where contestants make outfits out of Hello Kitty products; the book ball, where outfits are made of paper and the money ball, where the queens make ensembles out of money.

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” is available on Amazon Prime Video.

“The Hills”

“The Hills” is a fashion and pop culture-centric reality show that primarily follows Lauren Conrad as she moves to Los Angeles to follow her dreams of being in the fashion industry. Conrad works at Teen Vogue magazine and is exposed to the do’s and don’ts of fashion in the celebrity world. As the series progresses, its drama and entertaining moments make the show a fashion soap opera.

“The Hills” is available on Amazon Prime Video.

“Skin Wars”

If you’re interested in body art, “Skin Wars” is the show for you. In this reality competition show, body painters complete challenges every week until one is crowned the winner. Some challenges include camouflaging the model into a background, painting the guts and glory of a horror theme on models and much more.

“Skin Wars” is available on Netflix.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, May 1 print edition.

Email Christopher Collado at [email protected].