Weekly Sports Update: April 17- April 23

via gonyuatheltics.com

GLS sophomore Eli Edwards pitched for the NYU baseball team against Emory University on Saturday. NYU lost both games.

Nika Woodfill, Deputy Sports Editor

Baseball (16-12)

The baseball team started off the week strong with a 4-3 win over the United States Merchant Marine Academy last Friday, but the early success lacked momentum and the team fell 1-9 and 6-12 in the sets of their doubleheader against Emory University Saturday.

In Friday’s game, the victorious offensive effort was led by freshman infielder Coltrane Tait who hit three runs throughout the game.

In Saturday’s first game, the Violets fell quickly, unable to gain an offensive surge. In the second game, the team took an early 4-0 lead, but were unable to secure the advantage, and Emory captured its second victory of the day.

The Violets will face off against Yeshiva University Tuesday.

Softball (17-15)

The softball team had a week of mixed results, defeating Hunter College 17-4 and 6-3 in both sets of their doubleheader last Tuesday and falling to Farmingdale State College 0-1 and 6-7 in two close doubleheader losses on Wednesday.

Tuesday’s wins came as a result of high hitting rates, with multiple runs coming from sophomore pitcher Diana King and sophomore outfielder Ashley Mains.

On Wednesday, the Violets were able to hold off Farmingdale in the first half of both games — however, their advantages were jilted by Farmingdale’s strong offensive forces.

The team is set to play against Washington University in St. Louis for their next UAA matchup Friday, April 28.

Men’s Volleyball (18-10)

The men’s volleyball team ended their strong season with a 2-3 loss to Juniata College (19-25, 31-33, 25-23, 25-22, 15-10) in the first round of the NCAA Division III Championships on Saturday.

Despite the defeat, the Violets delivered a strong performance led by freshman Alex Li, who delivered 20 kills over the course of the game.

Track and Field

Both the men’s and women’s track and field teams competed in the UAA Outdoor Championships at the University of Chicago where they both finished sixth of seven.

The runners and company will be back in action Thursday, competing in the Penn Relays in Philadelphia.

Tennis

The men’s and women’s tennis teams were in the Sunshine State over the weekend competing in their final tournament of the season in the UAA Championships.

Both teams went 1-2 over the weekend. The women competed against the University of Chicago, Brandeis University and the University of Rochester, going 2-7, 1-8 and 7-2, respectively.

The men faced off against the same triad of teams, almost matching the women’s scores, only flipping the first two, going 1-8, 2-7 and 7-2, respectively.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, April 24 print edition. Email Nika Woodfill at [email protected].