Founders Hall

Sierra Jackson, Co-managing Editor

Residency: Freshmen
Estimated yearly cost: $14,040
Low-cost rooms available: No
Commute to class: 10-15 minute walk to WSP, 15-20 minute subway ride to Tandon
Nearby subways: L, N, Q, R, W, 4, 5, 6
Shuttle: Yes

Located on East 12th Street, Founders is notable for its consistently large rooms and great views from higher floors. The 26-story building mostly houses suites that contain two shared bedrooms, a bathroom and a small common area. The dorm also has two television lounges, a study lounge, a courtyard and one laundry room. You can also find recycling and trash rooms on every floor.

Although Founders boasts some of the largest freshman dorm rooms, its white walls, linoleum floors and lighting often remind students of a hospital. But a warm rug, wall decor and Christmas lights can quickly create a homey vibe.

Due to the large residence hall population, the second, third and fourth floors are the best due to their housing the only lounges of the building, eliminating the need to wait for elevators and allowing easy access to the laundry room.

Another downside of Founders is its lack of a dining hall, but Palladium Dining Hall and Third North Dining Hall neighbor it, and located nearby are Westside Market, Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. Even though Founders lacks a kitchen like most first-year dorms, the common area is large enough to house two mini-fridges, a microwave and a kitchen cart or shelf to store food.

Founders is a great choice for freshmen who want to immerse themselves in the city without being completely removed from Washington Square Park, and while the hike to class may seem tedious at first, Astor Place is a fun shortcut for classes east of the arch.

Read the rest of the housing issue here.