The Art of Eating: Yogurt

Yogurt%2C+a+healthy+snack+filled+with+probiotics+and+calcium%2C+can+be+eaten+for+any+meal%2C+on+the+go%2C+and+even+at+the+dining+hall.+

Polina Buchak

Yogurt, a healthy snack filled with probiotics and calcium, can be eaten for any meal, on the go, and even at the dining hall.

Maya Katchen Nann, Contributing Writer

Probiotics, protein, calcium and other vitamins pack yogurt, which make it both a transformative ingredient for cooking and a tasty treat. Here are some ways to incorporate yogurt into your daily dining.

Yogurt On the Go 

If you have a blender, yogurt can be added to smoothies for a healthy, creamy drink. Simply combine yogurt with fruit and blend away or create a protein-rich concoction by adding nut butter to the mix. Both agave and honey also pair nicely with yogurt in smoothies, and if the texture is too thick, simply add water or any type of milk.

Dining Hall

The dining halls have yogurt, to which you can add fruit and granola to make either a convenient breakfast or daytime snack. A good way to have a delicious breakfast is by layering your choice of yogurt with fruit and cereal. The different textures paired with the sweet and savory combination will take you on a flavor journey.

Yogurt for Breakfast

Yogurt pancakes are a great and healthy way to start your day. Add an egg — or two egg whites if you want to be even healthier — to your choice of yogurt. It is easiest if you buy small yogurt containers to mix the eggs inside it. In a separate bowl, mix half a cup of flour and a teaspoon of baking soda. Stir in the yogurt mixture with the flour and baking soda. Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to portion out equal amounts of the batter onto your skillet or pan. You can add blueberries to the mix while while cooking them, and to top them off use maple syrup or try mixing powdered sugar with a small amount of yogurt to create a creamy topping.

Yogurt as a Snack

Greek yogurt dipping sauces can serve as a great snack or party food — they add strong flavors and textures. Simply mix plain yogurt with some citrus and spices for a delicious chip or vegetable dip. A Tzatziki dip is easy to make and can top just about anything. Combine eight ounces of yogurt, two cucumbers, two tablespoons of olive oil, half a lemon juiced, three cloves of garlic and one tablespoon of fresh dill in a food processor and blend until smooth. Although Tzatziki is a Greek name the sauce is known by many names and traditionally found throughout the Mediterranean, Turkey and Middle East.

Yogurt for Lunch and Dinner 

Yogurt can help you make healthier versions of your favorite dishes. A good recipe is skinny yogurt chicken. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix a cup of plain yogurt, half a cup of grated Parmesan or cheddar cheese, a teaspoon of garlic powder, one and a half teaspoons of salt, half a teaspoon of pepper and a teaspoon of lime juice. Line the baking sheet with foil, and spray it with cooking oil. Cover four boneless chicken breasts in the mixture, and place them on the baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil on each, and sprinkle rosemary on top. Cook for 45 minutes.

Besides being a great healthy substitute ingredient, yogurt is a global staple that allows us to enjoy recipes from all around the world.

A version of this article appeared in the Tuesday, February 21st print edition. Email Maya Katchen Nann at [email protected]