Everything You Need to Know About Violet 100

The 27th Annual Violet Ball, which was on Feb. 27, 2016 brought the NYU community for a night of music and fun.

Jemima McEvoy, News Editor

Future and Chance the Rapper both surged in popularity after Violet 100, and another rap artist is ready to follow for a threepeat. 21 Savage is headlining alongside The Internet — two up and coming rap artists — and are set to perform on Feb. 22 at Terminal 5 in Hell’s Kitchen.

Violet 100, NYU’s official spirit week from Feb. 22-28, is one of the few opportunities for NYU students to showcase their school spirit and serves as a respite from the usual hustle of university life. This is the sixth annual NYU Spirit Week, and the full itinerary can be found on their website.

And this year, the Student Senators Council organized the inaugural Spirit Ambassador Program, which provides students and faculty the opportunity to volunteer throughout the week. This year, upwards of 60 ambassadors will hype up students and ensure that everything runs smoothly at the events.

CAS senior Petey Shivery serves as a senator-at-large in SSC and is also the marketing coordinator for Violet 100. He said that they intend to provide a variety of events that encompasses the interests of most students.

“Each day features some sort of marquee event, and what it has transformed into is that we are trying to hit each segment of the NYU population,” Shivery said. “We’re trying to really hit all NYU, because not everyone is going to be into the Hackathon but hopefully some event will be of interest to everyone.”

Here is what the council released to WSN of their schedule thus far:

HackNYU: Feb. 17-19

HackNYU is a Tandon-hosted hackathon that will run from Feb. 17-19 at 6 Metrotech Center. The event is a competition for entrepreneurs, engineers and hackers from around the world to produce content on themes such as healthcare, education, sustainability, accessibility and civic engagement. The competition has extended globally to NYU Abu Dhabi and Shanghai.

600 students have already registered for the event, and general registration will open online this weekend. There will also be an option for students to register through the app.

All-University Games: Feb. 21

This competition between the different NYU schools takes place at Chelsea Piers Sports Center from 5-10 p.m. Admission and transportation to this event is free, and students can participate in the Games through their school’s council — they are encouraged to watch even if they are not competing.

Violet 100 Week Concert: Feb. 22

Unlike previous years, two people will headline this concert — 21 Savage and The Internet. The concert will be held at Terminal 5, and students can purchase tickets for $15 on the Violet 100 website. They will be available for presale on Feb. 8 at 12 p.m. and general sale begins on Feb. 10 at 12 p.m.

This year’s NYU performer is Highclass Hoodlums. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the concert begins at 8 p.m.

UltraViolet Live: Feb. 23

This will be NYU’s 14th annual UVL talent show, which is hosted by the Inter-Residence Hall Council and will begin at 7 p.m. in the Skirball Center. Auditions were open to all dorm residents, commuters and satellite campus students. The council is still determining who the student performers will be, and multiple celebrity judges will attend the talent show.

Tickets are free at the door for those living in NYU residence halls, but non-residents can purchase tickets at Ticket Central.

TEDxNYU: Feb. 24

The theme of the TEDx this year is “The NYU Journey: Freshman to Senior Year.” Four different speakers will discuss their experiences at NYU at the Eisner & Lubin Auditorium in Kimmel beginning at 7 p.m.

Admission for the event is free, but tickets are a first-come, first-serve basis.

Violet Ball: Feb. 25

The Violet Ball is a black tie optional dance held in Bobst Library’s atrium. The library’s upper floors will be closed from 8:30 p.m. to 1 a.m., when the dance is held, and the lobby floor will feature a DJ and refreshments for students.

Admission is $20, and there are 800 tickets available for the event. Tickets will be on sale starting Feb. 9 at 12 p.m. on the Violet 100 website.

Sunday Brunch: Feb. 26

Sunday Brunch is organized by the Class Activities Board at the Torch Club. There will be two seating times, one at 12:00 p.m. and the other at 1:30 p.m.

Tickets are available at the Violet 100 website for $5, and all ticket sales will contribute to the 1831 Fund, which provides scholarships for transfer students and incoming freshmen at the university.

Email Jemima McEvoy at [email protected].