Checking in on Athletics

Via gonyuathletics.com

For the first time since 2013, the mens’ cross country team competed in the NCAA Division III championship.

Rachel Ruecker, Sports Editor

The semester is quickly wrapping up, but that doesn’t mean NYU sports are. Here’s a guide to what’s happened this semester in the athletics department, what will go on while we’re away and what’s in store for next semester.

Fall Sports

Women’s Volleyball

After a hot start this fall that saw them hit a nine-game win streak, the women’s volleyball team cooled off to finish just slightly above even at 18-17. They were most successful on the road, picking up a 5-1 record away from home. Junior middle blocker and captain Rayne Ellis was an enormous talent on the team this season and was recently named First-Team All-ECAC Metro. The young team did not have any seniors on the roster this season so they should have no trouble hitting their stride come next fall.

Cross Country

The men’s cross country team had a stellar season, placing in the top ten in every meet this season, even winning the ECAC Championship on Saturday, Nov. 5. It finished its season with a number of participants at the national championships in Louisville, Kentucky. Many of the team members will be carrying on this spring for the indoor and outdoor track seasons. The women’s team did not send any runners to nationals, but still raced well all semester, placing in the top half of its season-culminating meet, the NCAA Atlantic Region Championship.

Soccer

Both the men’s and women’s soccer teams saw ups and downs on the season. Particularly in the realm tied games, as both teams had plenty. The men’s team, which went 9-8-2 in their fall campaign, ended things on Nov. 12 in a 3-1 loss that served as its first and only game of the postseason. However, an unexpected win in the team’s final home game against Brandeis the week prior was an emotional climax that sent the team’s many seniors out on a high note. The women’s team went 13-3-6, but was frustrated by a number of long lasting double OT efforts. Its season was slightly longer lasting than its male counterparts, going to the ECAC DII Championships, which ended in a tie game against Springfield College on Nov. 20. The team has six departing seniors and plenty of young talent to fill those cleats.

Golf

The golf teams, which played brief fall seasons before taking a break until the spring, had early success this year. The women’s team played incredibly well, winning the season opening St. Lawrence Invitational in September and placing high in subsequent outings. The men were even more successful in their first half, winning two of five fall tournaments. Both will return March 11 to play in the UAA Championships in Palm Beach, Florida.

Tennis 

The tennis teams played four tournaments a piece before shelving their seasons until Feb. 25, when the men will play against Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania and the women will be in nearby Swarthmore to take on Swarthmore College. Men’s senior Umberto Setter will look to end his Violet career on a high note, while the lone senior on the women’s team, Laila El Dessouki, will likewise hope to soar in her season finale.

Winter Sports

Wrestling

The wrestling team just suffered its first loss this weekend, as it dropped a match to LIU Post, but it still stands a dominant 7-1 on the season, a record that includes a number of decisive wins. Next weekend, the men’s wrestling squad will head to Kings’ Point to play the United States Merchant Marine Academy and Nassau Community College before the break and will return Jan. 5 as it travels to Indiana to take on the NWCA National Dual.

Fencing

Though the fencing season is still young, the Violets are finding their place and will continue to do so in 2017, beginning with the National Circuit in Columbus over the Jan. 5 weekend.

Basketball

The men’s basketball team has hit the court running this season, enjoying a 4-1 run so far. The team plays three more games before hanging up its runners until Dec. 29 when it begins a four-game run at the NYU Men’s Basketball Classic. The women have gone an even better 8-0, highlighting senior captain Kaitlyn Read’s final run with the team. This weekend ends its fall campaign, with the women returning on Dec. 30 against Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

Swimming and Diving

The men’s aquatics team has gone 2-1 in scored meets this season, winning first at the NYU Fall Invitational. The women on the flip side have been on a perfect stride, going 4-0 in scored meets. Both teams will be back on Jan. 13 for the Johns Hopkins Invitational, which will be hosted at Palladium.

Spring Sports

Baseball & Softball

The NYU baseball team has one of the later starts, not beginning until March 1 against John Jay College at MCU Park, the Violets’ home field. In just the third season of its existence, the baseball team will hope to achieve a winning record this season, going 21-23 and 20-22 in its freshman and sophomore seasons. The softball team opens its season on March 5 against Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham and will hope to continue the extreme improvement it saw from a 12-24 freshman season to a 26-15 sophomore one.

Track 

Largely comprised of cross country team members, the track season kicks off with seniors Jorge Maldonado and Budd Brown highlighting a team that lost key members in Matt Powers and Max Avila. Both the men and women will kick off the track season on Jan. 13in the Ramapo Season Opener.

Men’s Volleyball

The men’s team debuts on Jan. 14 at the Brooklyn Athletic Facility against Benedictine University. Last season, it was dead even at .500 but was strong at home, going 5-2.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday, Dec. 5 print edition. Email Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].