Golf Stellar in Busy Sports Weekend

Via gonyuathletics.com

NYU women golf team take third place at the Mt. Holyoke Invitational.

Miguel de Laveaga and Rachel Ruecker

Golf

The women took home another third place finish in the Mt. Holyoke Invitational, playing at the Orchards Golf Club. Leading the team was freshman Ashley Tsoi, who finished in fifth place and with a two-day score of 152. Following several strokes back were junior Kristin Lee and freshman Patty Treevichapman, who finished in 11th and 12th place, respectively. Right behind was freshman Arisa Kimura, shooting a +14, 158 to finish tied for 13th. Rounding out the group were seniors Mikaela Santos and Rose Friedman, finishing 20th and 45th, respectively.

The team is content with the weekend, as put by freshman Arisa Kimura.

“Altogether, we had a solid weekend, but we intend to play better next weekend.”

The men’s team took home second place at their event this weekend. The Liberty League Championship, hosted by Skidmore College, was hosted at the Timber Banks Golf Club. The men played two solid days of golf to finish six strokes behind University of Rochester. Three freshmen ended up in the top 10 for the violets, with Jensen Ji leading the pack at +8 for the weekend. Right behind him, fellow freshmen Matt Shen and Kelly Sun both tied for seventh, posting +10’s. Sophomore Lucas Oberholtzer and junior Bryce Holmes both tied for 14th, although struggling in the mid-80s on Sunday. Rounding out the crowd, was senior captain Eric Tarakjian, taking 18th. After struggling in some of their more recent tournaments, the Violets were able to bounce back nicely this weekend. They look to continue this solid play into next weekend, when they’ll head to Westchester, New York, to compete in the Manhattanville Invitational.

Tennis

The women’s tennis team competed at the ITA Northeast Regional Championships with notable moments coming from sophomore Alice McGinty, who went 7-5, 3-6 and 6-3 in her win, and sophomore Flyora Shiyanova, who won a pair of matches 6-2. Both ultimately lost in the quarters, but fought valiantly on their way to those defeats.

The men, meanwhile, competed at the Steven’s Institute of Technology Invitational over the weekend. Highlights included freshman Vishal Walia, who competed well on day one. The Violets then went 6-4 in doubles on day two. Their nod at the ITA Championships will come next weekend.

Cross Country

NYU’s cross country contingent competed in the Purple Valley Classic in Williamstown, Massachusetts this weekend. In the men’s 5k, top Violet finishers include junior Karn Setya, who finished in 13th with a time of 16:52 and senior Curtis Mann, who came just a couple spots behind in 15th at 16:56.8. NYU’s representation in the women’s 5k included freshman Sidney Williams, who came in seventh in 20:46.7. Other NYU competitors featured juniors Alexa Goldman and Anastasia Filimontse, who came in 20th and
22nd, respectively.

The men’s 8k was highlighted by senior Jorge Maldonado, who came in 12th.

Soccer

The women’s soccer team has soared above their male counterparts in this fall season and has continued on that hot streak this weekend as they defeated DeSales University 4-2, improving to 6-1-1 on the season. Goals came from junior Olivia Braender-Carr, freshman midfielder Isabelle Turner and freshman forward Alex Benedict, who scored a pair for the Violets.

A version of this article appeared in the Monday Sept. 26 print edition. Email Miguel de Laveaga and Rachel Ruecker at [email protected].