Golf Takes Third Place Post-Spring Break

via gonyuathletics.com

NYU’s Women’s Golf team placed third at the Jekyll Island Women’s Collegiate Invitational.

Michael Thompson, Sports Editor

After starting the spring season with a first-place finish at the UAA Championship tournament, the NYU women’s golf team was back in action after an abbreviated spring break. The squad took a trip to Disney World and then traveled south to compete in the Jekyll Island Women’s Collegiate Invitational in Georgia. Led by freshman Jenni Bluetling’s third-place finish and strong performances by the other four participating golfers, the Violets kept up their momentum, finishing third.

Bluetling started her weekend on Friday at the scenic Jekyll Island Golf Course with a three-over 75. After a shaky four-over front nine, Bluetling steadied her play on the back nine with two birdies and a bogey to finish one under. She kept up the pace on Saturday, birdieing two of the first three holes. After two bogies on the back nine, Bluetling birdied the par-4 18th hole to finish the day with a one-under score of 71. Though Sunday was her toughest day, Bluetling was able to battle through more difficult pin positions to finish with a 76, which combined over the three days for a score of 222 — just six over par.

Over the three-day tournament, sophomore Alyssa Poentis and freshman Catherina Li joined Bluetling in the top-15 with respective scores of 228 and 230. Poentis’ 80 on Saturday was bookended by two much more consistent two-over performances. Meanwhile, Li’s best day was on Saturday, when she shot a three-over 75. Her round included a stretch of three birdies on the back nine, her best three-hole run of the weekend. It was also the only instance where a Violet put two or more birdies in succession.

“For me personally, it was a little rough getting back into my groove since I haven’t played in so long, but I feel that it’s much better now since we played so much during break,” Li said.

Sophomores Kristin Lee and Phoebe Zhao rounded out the Violets’ weekend with close scores of 248 and 250. Though she would have liked to play better on an attackable course, Lee and the rest of the team are slowly but surely getting back into a rhythm.

“My individual performance was all over the place this weekend,” Lee said. “On a course like this, I see myself playing better but it was a successful weekend for us since we haven’t competed all winter.”

Golf action returns in two weeks, but in two different locations. The women will compete NCAA Division III Spring Preview in Houston, Texas on April 4-5, while the men will travel to Hershey, Pennsylvania to compete in the Hershey Cup on April 3-4.

A version of this article appeared in the March 21 print edition. Email Michael Thompson at [email protected].